Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dags333

Reaction score
g,day all . i am just wondering .i have a few spare yeasts from the beer kits i dident use one is a yeast out of a coopers wheat beer kit. just want to know if i can use this in another kit like a shitty tooheys kit or a black rock etc .or do i have to use this yeast from the kit it comes from . i notice that the tooheys lager has a 5 gram yeast pack when all the rest come with a 7 gram yeast whats the go there also can i use a 7 gram on this tooheys . also want to know if i add more malt to the brew will it make the beer a bit thicker as the main thing i add to a kit is 500 dextrose
250 light malt
250 maltodextrin
if i do say 500 dex 100 maltodextrin 400 malt would it make it thicker or just malter thanks guys just working my way from the shit to the shovel on this beer thing . just starting out on the cheap kits so i can learn it all 1st .as long as it tastes good and gets me over the beating i get from the misses im happy

Yeah, you can use the yeast with another tin. They're all pretty bland yeasts included and you'd have a pretty hard time splitting their profiles in an standard k&k.

Extra malt will improve body - but I dunno if I'd go so far as to say it would make it "thick" in the amounts you're talking. Do it and I'm pretty sure you'll see an immediate improvement in your brews.

I'm inclined to think that at 5 and 7 gr of dry yeast, you are definitely underpitching.
My practice is to pitch good sized starters for my brews, which I think improves them and helps to prevent off flavours, esters etc.

I'd double them up, and use two of those packets in the one brew.

If you have kit yeasts left over pitch two packs instead of one. As stated, there wont be much difference in the yeast profiles.

This is my 2 cents..

Ditch the maltodextrin all together.

In a kit and kilo use 500g dex and 500g Malt or a kilo of malt.. will improve mouth feel.

This is a starting point to work from..

cheers.

This is my 2 cents..

Ditch the maltodextrin all together.

In a kit and kilo use 500g dex and 500g Malt or a kilo of malt.. will improve mouth feel.

This is a starting point to work from..

cheers.
is it ok to pitch two different yeasts eg one ale and one lager.

muntons lager yeast and a coopers kit ale in to a coopers pale ale kit

The Muntons lager kit yeast is most likely an ale yeast. If it was a lager yeast and pitched with a ale yeast that is fermented at say 20deg the lager yeast would throw some unwanted esters. So mixing ale yeast would be OK. If you mix lager with ale and fermented at say 12deg the ale yeast would be dormant.

Cheers.

Back