Yeast Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimoB

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have my first yeast starter going from last night. using White labs 001. It has kicked off great and still very active.

Out of my excitement I started brewing early this morning. Brewing an IPA of an OG 1058.

Have I brewed a bit too early? The starter would've been going for 16 hours when it's time to pitch. It's a 2.5L starter and still has a krausan.

Is it OK to pitch the whole thing as is without chilling and decanting?

Next time I will be more patient but hey, new toys an all.

Cheers,
Simo

Yes all good to go. When I do starters I usually leave them and then decant . Like you, excitement and all its all good. Have a great brew day .

Cheers

Thanks beer belly. Now I can relax and just brew. Such a nice day for it. Helps me forget I've been out if work for 5 months!!!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I find it's best to pitch when the starter is active. When it's active the yeast are up and about and and will be ready to get to work straight away, reducing lag time.

Yeah, two different philosophies for when to pitch the starter. Depends on a few factors as well, such as starter volume, wort volume and exact purpose of starter (to commence fermentation or kick start a stalled ferment).

Most people, myself included, usually opt for a starter that's has been chilled and decanted.

I'm like Spiesy, chill and decant is the process now

Most traditional brewing books I have read state to pitch at high krausen

I have done both and never had an issue

beer belly said:
what part of Melbourne are you in Simo ?
I live in Vermont mate. How bout yourself??

Thanks for the comments guys. This batch I will be pitching while active in the starter, I'll be getting a stir plate next and plan ahead and try the decant style.

SimoB said:
Thanks for the comments guys. This batch I will be pitching while active in the starter, I'll be getting a stir plate next and plan ahead and try the decant style.

If you have an old computer fan , you can make one up yourself .

beer belly said:
Around the corner Croydon .
Cool - I am thinking about heading to the Melbourne brewers next meeting. Only moved to Vermont 2 weeks ago and looking for a club. Might see you there.

jaypes said:
I'm like Spiesy, chill and decant is the process now

Most traditional brewing books I have read state to pitch at high krausen

I have done both and never had an issue
I use starters to grow old stale splits up to triple batch, and possibly lager proportions. Because of this I use a stirplate and that results in manky aerated beer in the starter that I don't want in my beer.

Hence, I chill and decant most of the manky beer :)

(4+L generally!)

A question for those who split yeast packs/vials. How long have you guys kept your splits on hand for?

12+ months. Takes a bit of building back up ;)

How do you know how much viable yeast you have before and after building it back up though? You pitch a 12+ month slurry into 500mL or so of 1.030/40 wort?

Back