Yeast Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tateg said:
Hi guys
Any thoughts on how the below looks, I am used to the yeast dropping out but this one just just won't it is wyeast 1318 stepped up
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1402825749.076858.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1402825765.225641.jpg
Re adding images

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1402890150.734966.jpg

I did a starter last week using some Wyeast 2042 which was split off a previous pitch.
  • Put into 500ml 1.030 starter and fired away.
  • Left it on the stir plate for 48 hours, allowed to settle during the day, then decanted off that night.
  • Added 2.5l of 1.040 LDM
Average temp 17°C during day, 14°C overnight (nice and warm in the house). It's been going for 3.5 days now and is still active. I let it sit last night with the stirrer off and it separated with the yeast beginning to collect on the bottom after about an hour. I could still see bubbles in solution so I turned the stirrer back on. Krausen galore.

Is this typical of a lager yeast? This is the largest starter I've done and I haven't had it draw out this long before. I want to decant most of the wort for this pitch. It certainly provides a good case for cubing.

tateg said:
Hi guys
Any thoughts on how the below looks, I am used to the yeast dropping out but this one just just won't it is wyeast 1318 stepped up
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1402825749.076858.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1402825765.225641.jpg
Bump - I'm trying to split a starter I've done and it looks exactly the same as above. It's been cold crashing for 4 days and there is certainly yeast dropped out - but the liquid is still murky as hell. Would that still be yeast in suspension?

I was planning on tipping all the liquid out and stirring up the dropped out yeast to stick away in vials... or is that not a good idea?

Which yeast?
I have a feeling if it's murky then fermentation isn't complete. How long was it on the starter for and at what temp?

WLP023 Burton Ale:
5 days, stir plate @ 23deg.
Cold crashed 4 days.

Luckily I had a beer or two and became invincible... There was plenty of yeast at the bottom to split into two vials, and bump the starter back to 2L for pitching sometime in the next few days.

Just me being overly cautious to start, I think.

After sitting in a cold fridge for four days, any yeast that doesn't want to drop out deserves the sink.

mofox1 said:
WLP023 Burton Ale:
5 days, stir plate @ 23deg.
Cold crashed 4 days.

Luckily I had a beer or two and became invincible... There was plenty of yeast at the bottom to split into two vials, and bump the starter back to 2L for pitching sometime in the next few days.

Just me being overly cautious to start, I think.
Seems odd, mate.

I haven't used that yeast, but it's rated as a Medium flocculator.

5-days on the plate and 4-days crashing is certainly some extended time.

What did you use in your starter?

The initial was a 1L (100g DME) - I started small because it was an oldish tube and figured I'd build it up. In retrospect I should probably have just done a 2 or 3L to begin with.

I mucked a few things up with that one. Not long enough/warm enough on the plate and ended up with barely 0.5mm yeast on the bottom after tipping the liquid.

Hence the long spin & cool with the second attempt after being built back to 2L (200g DME + some nutrient). I got about 2-3mm of yeast out of the one last night, which was enough for the vials and a 3L starter.

Hopefully all good - going into my RIS in a day or two.

You could always tip it (yeast) all in and wash the yeast afterwards - that way you know you'll have a heap of healthy yeast for the next round.

Back