Yeast Sludge / Tub collection and re-use

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGibbon

Reaction score
Morning all, This is for all of you who collect their yeast sludge / trub for using in the next batch of beer.
Ive read a few threads on people doing it, and how they do it, but all those threads miss out one tiny piece of the puzzle.

How do you actually get the sludge out of the fermenter and into your container (jam-jar?) of choice?
Scoop? Spoon? Straw?

Thanks.

I mostly keg and drain all but a few hundred ml of the beer. Add 500 ml of cooled boiled water, swirl and drain thru the tap into an old V8 juice bottle

:icon_offtopic: i don't know why, but seeing your use of 'straw' gave me the mental image of someone sucking it back and siphoning; getting yeasty trub goodness in their mouth. i may or may not have gagged haha

Same as clown. Except jam jars. Sterilized, of course.
Exceptions maybe a highly flocculant English strain, where you may have to dig into the 'cheese' with a sterilized spoon. Mmmmm cheese.

I bought a $50 elec pressure cooker so I can keep a bunch of sterile water filled jars in the yeast fridge. Tighten the lids as they cool and they seal well. Then, when needed,pour one into fermentor, swirl and wait a few minutes then pour out of tap back into same jar. I use the other jars to rinse the yeast to get nice clean yeasties that store well.

Thanks lads, a straw it is!

Fletcher, you made me laugh!

Latest posts

Back