Yeast pitching.....FFS there is enough in pack

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Some people just won't accept that there is enough in a packet or smack pack.
There's enough in a dried pack almost always. There is almost never enough in a smackpack.

Some people just won't accept that liquid yeasts deteriorate rapidly.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Some people just won't accept that there is enough in a packet or smack pack.

You haven't given them any reason to.

Your argument so far is the equivalent of "there is a god. I've seen him', repeated about 8 times.

manticle said:
You haven't given them any reason to.

Your argument so far is the equivalent of "there is a god. I've seen him', repeated about 8 times.
Isn't that just how religion works?

"There's a god because it says so on the pack he came in."

bum said:
"There's a god because it says so on the pack he came in."
I'm sure you're aware there is always enough god in the pack?

well if there wasn't then we would all be making starters. Plenty of brewers make good beers, and shock horror, comp winning beers...

You don't need to make a starter to make good beer. Sure it may help, but it is not essential.

It gets to the point where I don't know if you're trolling anymore or if you are actually serious. The joke is over but the misinformation remains.

Which isn't really much more than 'good beer has been made without starters'

I know.

And if people wanted to improve their beer do you think that pitching more yeast could be one way to do that?

It can.But does it really make it better and could you notice the difference

Loads of people complain about stalled brews, estery brews, fuselly brews etc - especially the noobs for whom you want to make things simple.

Common culprit - underpitching so yes I can, you can, we all can notice the difference.

You pitch a doppelbock with a single pack of 6 month old yeast and tell me if you can.

For what It's worth, I don't use mr malty and often find the amounts suggested way over what I find practical to use and mostly my beer turns out well (including some comp winners). You seem to be just taking the opposite end though, with no qualification and offering no justification - just 'it's fine'.

Well sometimes it isn't.

I've also noticed an improvement in flavour and fermentation in certain brews that required bigger starters (high grav etc) so that's the other bit of anecdotal evidence to deal with. Have you ever tried it and noticed an IMPROVEMENT in a beer? I have.

It also depends what you expect from your ferment. A perfect ferment with all factors available and perfect viability should rip through to terminal gravity within a couple of days.

Ducatiboy stu said:
It can.But does it really make it better and could you notice the difference
Not using question marks does not make your question a statement.

Pitch a 4 month old smackpack into a 1.060 lager and see what ******* happens! Till then, STFU.

Let me put this another way ducatiboy ... I've got a Monster 600, you have a Panagali ... if I say, given a few twisty corners I can beat you in a 40km race, you'd think I'm a dickwad, right? Well you're achieving the same thing in a homebrewing sense.

Basically you are saying that you are happy with your beer even if you are not pitching optimal yeast numbers according to the guidelines put forward by scientists. Why does that automatically mean that your uneducated experience with a single method mean that the single method you have used is ideal and should be taught to everyone.

If you want to tell new brewers that they will still make great beer if they don't follow the guidelines 100% then that's what you should say. Tell them to ignore them and whatever they get in whatever package they have on hand will do all they want it to do is just bad advice.

And yes I do think I would prefer a beer brewed with the correct amount of yeast compared to one which is under pitched.

The wyeast website has a section making starters for "high gravity beer, or cold fermented lagers or ales". What a bunch of idiots huh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back