Just pitched more yeast... What happens next?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matplat

Reaction score
So I did a brew on Sunday before last with the OG at 1.062. I had checked with Mr Malty beforehand and he recommended 1.2 packs of yeast.

Being the stinge that I am, I thought 1 pack will do the job, they just need to grow more.

The first thing that got me concerned was that the gravity didn't drop anywhere near as quick as I was expecting (based on the rapid reputation of Nottingham). It's now 10 days in and it's still only at 1.021 compared with a predicted 1.015, although it hadn't completely stalled I jumped the gun and pitched a second pack of Nottingham this evening to kick things off again.

Does this effectively put me back to day 1 with regard to conditioning etc? Or just wait a week after reaching F.G?

Also, the airlock had stopped before I pitched the new yeast, then literally as soon as I put the lid back on the FV it started bubbling again, is that even possible? I has rehydrated the yeast and it had foam in the yeast when I pitched it....

Cheers, Matt

If I were you I'd leave it for a while anyway maybe bump up the temp a few degrees if you can. The bubbling after the yeast was added is just CO2 coming out of solution, the yeast acts as a nucleation point

Do you have temperature control? If not, the most likely explanation is that your yeast dropped out when the beer cooled at night. Notty is prone to doing that.

A slight underpitching like you described might cause stalling, but more likely a long lag. Was it long? Judging from the small difference between the Beer Smith recommendation and what you pitched, both stalling and a long lag are unlikely if the yeast was fresh and you followed the rehydration instructions, including attemperation if you pitched cold. According to a report I saw on another forum Fermentis and Danstar cell counts in fresh yeast are substantially higher than they indicate on the packages and online; maybe they allow for slight storage losses, death of cells from temperature shock, etc.

The question about conditioning is a tough one. Yes, bump up and wait a few days.

If you bottle, be conservative on priming sugar: better low carbonation than gushers and bottle bombs. Try to expose the beer to as little air as possible, since repitching did cause some exposure, and don't count on storing any for a long time.

Thanks guys,

By comparison to everyone else I think I had a long lag time (around 24 hours) however all batches I have done have taken at least that long if not longer (S-04)....

Now you mention it, I also read the same thing about the conservative cell counts that Danstar/Fermentis quote on their packets, which gave me more confidence in underpitching slightly.

Yeah I've got full temp control, infact this is the first batch that I have actually put the heater on, and every time I checked, the temp was always bang on set point.

Should I wait to bump the temp until this new batch of yeast finishes it's growth phase?

I guess I should plan on drinking this one quickly then, shouldn't be a problem, the hydro samples taste the best of any that I've made :chug:

Matt

24 hours is only long if you pitched warm. I often start Notty at 14--15, and it usually takes close to 24 hours..

Bump right away if you're at or below 18. If higher, wait or accept the esters that Notty kicks off at 20 and above.

Nah I pitched at 17-18... which is where it is sitting at the moment.

I'l bump it to 20 when I get home this arv... I don't mind a few fruity esters :)

Cheers, Matt.

You won't get much esters as fermentation is nearly over. Better to slowly rise it at the end to help the yeast finish off.

I thought I might have seen a bit more activity from the airlock by now...

Is there a chance it could have been all done and dusted overnight just after I pitched the yeast? Or would fermentation not have been so epic as the 'SG' was so low?

I will obviously sample this weekend to confirm if I don't see things pick up... but just wondering if someone may already have insight?

Gravity at 1.018... someone said that bintani DME tends to finish a bit high, so perhaps they were right... we'll see if it drops any further between now and next weekend....

Still at 1.018, feels a bit like it was a waste of time/money pitching the extra yeast... considering i did pitch the extra yeast can i ar least be sure it has reached FG?

Latest posts

Back