Yeast pitching.....FFS there is enough in pack

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kudzu said:
Yeah no worries, I wasn't questioning the need for adequate pitching rates. I was just wondering how pitching large amounts of liquid yeast effects the trub (if it does). For example, someone said earlier in the thread they sometimes use a six litre starter, does that mean 6 litres of yeast? Do you end up with a 6 litre trub, more? less? Or is it just normal?
I think this is a good question.

How are people measuring what size their starter is?
How are people determining what is the 'active' yeast within their starter?
How much of the starter is that 'dead yeast' that contributes the faults, and would that not throw out calculations?
If you are pitching straight from the smack pack are you not getting a truer version?
Do those that make starters exclusively/mostly use visual methods to determine amount or do they weigh the flask to calculate?

Cheers

Nick JD said:
If you are making a 6L starter, you're best to throw in some hops to your LDME boil and make 6L of beer and bottle it instead of tipping it down the sink.
Have you kept a starter of this size Nick? How was the result? I'm sure it wasn't the best beer you have ever made but I guess as a quick drink it would have been ok. I guess in a way when needing those big starter volumes it's best to brew a smaller beer and use the yeast cake. Two birds with one stone and all that.

Agree about the 15 litre starter comment from treefiddy,

bradsbrew said:

How much of the starter is that 'dead yeast' that contributes the faults, and would that not throw out calculations?
If you are pitching straight from the smack pack are you not getting a truer version?
Do those that make starters exclusively/mostly use visual methods to determine amount or do they weigh the flask to calculate?

Cheers
Pitching from the pack vs from the starter should be the same if your process is sound I thought. I guess there would be a minimal change but surely nothing worth thinking about?

All the other points would be interesting to find out.

The Americans plan to loop this thread at Guantanamo Bay ......
Six pages, please stop.
BBB

Bada Bing Brewery said:
The Americans plan to loop this thread at Guantanamo Bay ......
Six pages, please stop.
BBB
Thanks for the insightful answer

I've read on the internet of people making mild, low alcohol batches specifically to harvest and pitch the relatively healthy yeast left over. Somewhat similar to this massive starter idea I guess.

slash22000 said:
I've read on the internet of people making mild, low alcohol batches specifically to harvest and pitch the relatively healthy yeast left over. Somewhat similar to this massive starter idea I guess.
Absolutely. When thought of in this way why would you bother pitching what could be not enough yeast, when you could have a nice mild, then go for a big IPA. :)

I might start viewing all my little 21 liter batches as massive starters for my inevitable Barley wine progression.

@ brad, I know from experiments that I get ~75ml (compact) yeast from a 1lt starter, as a general rule of thumb you sill have about 90% viability (as stated before this number is what I've always used) if I have a 1050-60 wort at 24 lt Good old Mr malty tells me I need about 65ml of compact yeast.. Bang, I'm in business!

Sometimes if I've used some older yeast I may make a 2lt starter, let ferment out and rinse like I would collecting trub,

slash22000 said:
If brewing a belgian tripel i brew an ale first and then pitch onto the cake, think that's a pretty common practice. Do the same for big ipa. Smaller starters on a stir plate are gunna be oxidized and undrinkable, but you are getting much better growth compared with just making a drinking beer starter.

jc64 said:
Have you kept a starter of this size Nick? How was the result? I'm sure it wasn't the best beer you have ever made but I guess as a quick drink it would have been ok.
Lager yeast at 18C is the only issue with it (which isn't much of an issue with a hoppy beer) aside from that it's just a mild extract 10 minute APA (usually I use american hops). Bottle into a 1.5L PET with 2 teaspoons of sugar simply by decanting.

bradsbrew said:

Cheers
Thanks, I think I understand now.

I was thinking when people said 6 litre starter it meant they were pitching 6 litres of actual yeast. So the 6 litres refers to the volume of wort you're starting the yeast in?

Kudzu said:
Thanks, I think I understand now.

I was thinking when people said 6 litre starter it meant they were pitching 6 litres of actual yeast. So the 6 litres refers to the volume of wort you're starting the yeast in?
Correct. :D

6 litres of actual yeast would be a little excessive. :blink:

Congratulations Stu, you will soon be the father of many many bottle bombs all across the interwebs. I hope they make you very very proud.

The quality of advice being given in this thread should certainly keep those pro memberships rolling in. :blink:

Some people just won't accept that there is enough in a packet or smack pack.

There seems to be a backlash against the freedom of information. People feel that thinking is stupid and they know everything because they haven't or don't have the intellect to properly think about something.

I've always driven a fuel sucking car and it was cold the other day, therefore the scientists who spend years researching and thinking are wrong and I'm right.

I've done over 15 brews without sanitising and have never had a bad beer. Sanitising is stupid

I've always pitched X g of yeast and it's always made good beer, there for that is plenty for every beer under any circumstances

I did something without thinking and I didn't notice any immediate negative results, therefore those people who actually think about things are a bunch of idiots because I can't be fucked thinking about things.

This thread has well and truely stepped into the abyss of retardedness......

Whatever happened to the handfull of contributors that actually knew what they were talking about and were worth listening to?? (You know who you are). :unsure:

You can make succesful beers with k+k . All this talk of using other methods is just crap. why go to the effort of starters and allgrain and temp controlled ferments when you can get pissed on a ten dollar kit and a kilo of sugar fermented at whatever ambient temp
is at the time. I will continue using correct pitching rates and making the BEST beer I can. Not just barely acceptable beer because im to lazy and want to ignore some basic fundamentals just to save time and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back