Yeast pitching.....FFS there is enough in pack

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ducatiboy stu said:
I refuse to be bullied against my claim that there is enough yeast in a satchel or make pack to make a good beer that the average beer would make. I have tried various yeast pitching. I found that doubling up on dry yeast ( and even re-hydrating ) didn't make any.difference. Same with liquid smack packs. The only time I made starters for liquids was when I Split them. I just direct pitched, no issues

Adr_0 said:
I pitched 11.5g of US-05 into 13L of wort (1.051) and it finished faster than the 1L starter of 3333 pitched into 32L of virtually identical wort (1.048) but the 3333 finished one day later, at identical temperatures (18.5°C).
This actually happened... I'm just saying it's anecdotal because I didn't do it in a controlled test. I support you Stu, and at least 50% of the time I have used packet yeasts to good effect direct pitched, and it has turned the wort into delicious delicious beer. sometimes this has been one packet, often two. Never in a lager - or larger lager - though... but I believe that was covered on pages 2, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9.... but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

The Wyeast site has great information, put there by experts who make yeasties every day... pretty sure their guidelines are right on. If you go outside those - high gravity beers, high volumes, lagers started at cool temps, or old yeast - then a starter will help you out.

PS: the thread is still going....

Keeping in mind that yeast viability decreases pretty much as soon as it is packaged.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Will be interesting to see new brewers asking about making starters when they havnt even knocked a beer out. Seems some are intent on saying you must or your beer will be sit

Who is saying that and why do you think people disagreeing with your generalisation equates to you being bullied?

I'm being a bully. Just gave you a noogie and a nipple gripple.

Now you are upside down in a rubbish bin.

HA HA!

But seriously, if you make a 1.060 batch of lager, split in into two fermenters and pitch 250 million cell into one, and 2 billion into the other - you'll know what everyone is on about.

Until then - you will be bullied on the internets, because the internets has enough shit on it already.

Yeah... this is quite the thread.
From my experience, the only time my beers have ever sucked (once I went all grain) was when I didn't treat the yeast with the respect it deserved. Be it pitching rate/temperature/ambient musak designed to relax the yeasties.. whatever. Make of this what you will, but whenever I want to crank out excellent beer, I pay close attention to Mr Malty and ensure I make a starter ONLY if needed. If it's a standard 1.030-1.050 ale I chuck in a pack of dried yeast and wish them the best of luck :)
But hey that's just me.
Of interest, Journey's 'Don't stop Believing' is best for yeast growth and happiness. However, playing it on repeat causes them to mutate.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I refuse to be bullied against my claim that there is enough yeast in a satchel
I agree that this would certainly be an over-pitch.

I am not against starters, in fact I have made many. And they ate warranted. But for Joe average making their beers there is ( or should ) be enough. Of course big beers require a different approach

Ducatiboy stu said:
I am not against starters, in fact I have made many. And they ate warranted. But for Joe average making their beers there is ( or should ) be enough. Of course big beers require a different approach
... So now you're saying that you should make a starter and pitch more yeast in a high gravity beer? Or, in other words, that underpitching yeast is a problem? :mellow:

Maybe just use a bum-bag rather than a whole satchel?

Or perhaps a Starter cap-full?

bum said:
Maybe just use a bum-bag rather than a whole satchel?
While on the subject of bags...Stu needs a colostomy bag for all the sh*t he's talking.

4 hours after pitching a 1lt yeast slurry......

IMG_0147.JPG

Not looking forward to opening the fermenting fridge tomorrow morning, over pitching can be a problem as well.

I like growing yeast from a freshly smacked pack or new vial.
Makes me feel like a grown up with it cool guy better than average garage brewer well initiated into the mysteries of brewing great beer.

Meanwhile guys, I've never done double blind side by side tests to prove or disprove the hypothesis or theory or suggestion or experiment put up on page 1 in post #1, so I am not in a position to prove or disprove the OP. He may be right, or he may be not, I just don't know. If he says what he does works for him, it proves it works for him. That's it, nothing more, nor less. May or may not work for you or others.

Thus, I'll just continue to enjoy my hobby as it is.

Meanwhile, boys and girls, keep using that Zit Cream, because your looks still need some improvement.

I think Stu is copping a lot of shit for what is just an opinion. A generalisation.

Relax FFS.

Stu should be commended for generating 'healthy' debate and discussion.. personal insults have little place in healthy discussion.

Ducatiboy stu said:
If you had added this on page 1, it wouldn't have got to 10 pages. I don't know you, but you seem to have always posted helpful, well thought out info (well, I don't recall you posting crap), so thought it was an odd post for an experienced member. I think Dr Smurto hit the nail on the head in that if all variables are 100% ( fresh yeast, good oxygen levels etc), in a 5% alc ale, it would be fine with no starter. But how often do we have all those conditions 100%??.

If you want to gamble, go ahead, you maybe lucky often, but I prefer to make sure.

Yob said:
Stu should be commended for generating 'healthy' debate and discussion.. personal insults have little place in healthy discussion.
Thanks

Congratulations all, I think we've reached an amicable resolution... thread closed??

slash22000 said:
... So now you're saying that you should make a starter and pitch more yeast in a high gravity beer? Or, in other words, that underpitching yeast is a problem? :mellow:
Yes. Big beers need more yeast.

ok.. the 'please' was for the final resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back