Yeast Nutrient

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbuoy

Reaction score
Have been thinking about getting some yeast nutrient from one of the sponser HBS. At this stage I am brewing with Kits and Bits, all ales. I mostly use the Safale US-05 yeast and rehydrate it in water as per the destructions. Is it worth getting some yeast nutrient to use during the rehydration process? I assume it will help to kick start the yeast and therefore the fermentation? Will it also reduce the final SG?

I guess the main question, is it worth it for a kits and bits brewer?

Cheers

Ian

No.

Yeast nutrient is for nutrient poor solutions e.g. wines, meads and ciders/cysers.

I have heard of it being used for beers but I do not believe it is necessary as all the necessary for for them should be in the wort. Also, I would not use nutrient during re-hydration. Re-hydration should basically be used to bring the 'dormant' yeast back to life and have them ready to start work. Giving them nutrients (in what would be a high concentration) may not be beneficial to their health.

Yeast nutrient is for nutrient poor solutions e.g. wines, meads and ciders/cysers.

I was under the impression that extracts were nutrient poor solutions, in particular being low in free amino nitrogen....

Have been thinking about getting some yeast nutrient from one of the sponser HBS. At this stage I am brewing with Kits and Bits, all ales. I mostly use the Safale US-05 yeast and rehydrate it in water as per the destructions. Is it worth getting some yeast nutrient to use during the rehydration process? I assume it will help to kick start the yeast and therefore the fermentation? Will it also reduce the final SG?

I guess the main question, is it worth it for a kits and bits brewer?

Cheers

Ian

I have access to yeast nutrient but have never bothered. Never had a problem propigating liquid yeast or hydrating dry yeast. IMHO why make the brewing process more complicated or expensive.

BYB

I have access to yeast nutrient but have never bothered. Never had a problem propigating liquid yeast or hydrating dry yeast. IMHO why make the brewing process more complicated or expensive.

BYB

O.K. pass on the nutrient. Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back