Yeast Nutrient For Hard Lemonade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drfad

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at making a varient of the 3 dog recipe in one of the threads here and it asks for yeast nutrient which my LHBS didn't have. Can I use any old packet yeast as nutrient with the Safale I intend using for this brew?

If not, is there anything else I can use?

Cheers

Fad

some diammonium phosphate (DAP) would be handy, lemons probably don't have much nitrogen in them

It will ferment without the nutrient it will just take longer.
I wouldn't add extra yeast as nutrient unless it is yeast ghosts or whatever they call it that I have seen mentioned somewhere.

I can't imagine lemons having all the nutrients required, so adding any/all yeast-food would be helpful.
You could boil up an old pack of yeast to add a range of micro-nutrients and DAP if your LHBS sells that.

Could you use some bakers yeast that you get from the supermarket as nutrient? Or is it so different the brew yeast wouldn't recognise it as food.

I used to make hard ginger beer using a champagne yeast and DAP, fermented out quite well. However using a dried yeast such as Nottingham and pitching both sides of a Craftbrewer repack should work well, as the dried yeasts come preloaded with all the stuff they need to get working on, dividing up rapidly then producing alcohol.

Thanks for all the responses. I ran out of time so just pitched the yeast and will hope for the best! :unsure:

Hey just saying but always have the basic ingredients handy. Yeast nutrient is a basic once you step away from brewing beer.

Latest posts

Back