Yeast Nutrient and loss to Kettle leftovers.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wall

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just put a Belgian Dubbel into the fermenter OG 1065 and have used Wyeast nutrient for the first time.
(Pretty much an impulse buy standing in line when I bought my Candy Sugar yesterday)
I mixed up a half teaspoon and threw in with my last hop addition at 15 min along with whirloc.
My question is around how much of this has actually reached the fermenter?
I had the usual amount of cold break and hop matter in the kettle after chilling, would the nutrient have realistically remained in solution or is it pointless to use this and a fining together?
Mainly curiosity but I figured that somebody on AHB would have nutted this one out before or could at least offer some intelligent speculation.
Cheers

Kettle finings and fermenter finings work by bonding to certain chemical compounds (kettle finings to proteinaceous materials, fermenter finings to yeast (eg. gelatin, isinglass), or proteins (eg. polyclar, isinglass)).

Yeast nutrient is a blend of materials including minerals like zinc.

As far as I know, there should be no reason your kettle fining should affect your nutrient addition.

Yeah ok, that makes sense.
I understand it to be mainly boiled / denatured yeast that has a high zinc content, no idea what it contains outside of that.
Mainly one of those questions born of the realisation that Id just dumped something into my beer for the sake of it without researching what it offered or changed first.

I use wyeast nutrient @ 5 min and kettle finings @15 min for every batch.
I cant say for sure the process improves anything but I reckon i'll just give the brew every advantage I can throw at it .
cheers
ken

Wall said:
Yeah ok, that makes sense.
I understand it to be mainly boiled / denatured yeast that has a high zinc content, no idea what it contains outside of that.
Mainly one of those questions born of the realisation that Id just dumped something into my beer for the sake of it without researching what it offered or changed first.
Actually that's something of a misstating of the contents. The main ingredient is going to be an inorganic nitrogen supply like Di-Ammonium Phosphate or Urea (probably DAP). There will be some yeast extract in there, but that's a lot different to thinking that its just boiled yeast, in the extraction process the yeast is Hydrolysed and the soluble portions of the cell extracted - its a lot more complex than just boiling up some yeast. Yeast nutrient will also contain trace elements (i.e. Zn) and a bunch of other vitamins and soluble lipids and proteins that make sure your yeast has everything it needs to get a good start in life, and more importantly to finish the ferment quickly and cleanly.
The application rate is about 0.1g/L (11g/117L (US beer Barrel)), its something I use as a matter of course, it can be added to the kettle or the fermenter, if adding to the fermenter I would slurry it up in some boiling water to sterilise it.
M

Back