Yeast Not Working

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntsy

Reaction score
hi, put a kit down saturday pitched yeast at 20degrees not working this morning sunday, pitched another yeast still not working so checked to see if airtight, found crack in fermenter lid, so coverd with clingwrap,
still no activity, my question is if i pitch another yeast, will the brew taste yeasty.
thanks in advance
huntsy[

hi, put a kit down saturday pitched yeast at 20degrees not working this morning sunday, pitched another yeast still not working so checked to see if airtight, found crack in fermenter lid, so coverd with clingwrap,
still no activity, my question is if i pitch another yeast, will the brew taste yeasty.
thanks in advance
huntsy[

It can take more than 24hrs to kick off. was the yeast added dry, rehydrated or was it a starter?
Is there any foam on top of your brew?

if you added it dry or rehydrated, it takes a little longer to get going.

I wouldn't chuck any more in....give it another 24hrs
If there's foam on top....it's working :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

love the emphasis beerfingers

you've hit the nail ion the head. How long since the yeast was first pitched? Has the fermenter remained at pitching temp since or has temp dropped?

I know this is a kit bit was there any airation (not as important in this case)

is there any foam (krausen forming on the brew?

how old was the kit when purchased as this will affect yeast viability?

It can take up to 48 hours in some cases for the yeast to kick over and it's a nervous wait.
Pitching extra yeast wont make your brew 'yeasty' - you just give it more time to settle out.

Mate with a crack in the lid you may not see any airlock activity. Look for krausen on top of the beer (a thick white head). Wouldn't pitch another yeast, wait another 24 hours and see if a white head forms on the top of your beer and remember to use your hydrometer to check when the beer is done before bottling/kegging.

thanks for the help first yeast pitched am sat, second about 6pm sat, there is slight show of foam on top, should i put pin hole in clingwrap or just leave it.
huntsy

Daddymem's sig says it all:

"Your airlock is a cheap piece of plastic. Your hydrometer is a calibrated scientific tool. Listen to the friggin hydrometer, and tell your airlock to STFU."
-llazy llama (HBT)

As has been said here a million times, your airlock is not an indicator of fermentation or otherwise, although it is a very soothing sound, blub blub blub.
Find a post on here by buttersd70 and check the links in his sig.
No need for hole in cling wrap, there will be plenty of leaks for the co2 to escape.
Good Brewing ;)

Nige

just leave it, the co2 will find it's own way out.

Patience, grasshopper, patience.

edit....I didn't realise my name had been taken in vain in this thread untill I posted.....damned tabbed browsing. ^_^

just leave it, the co2 will find it's own way out.

Patience, grasshopper, patience.

edit....I didn't realise my name had been taken in vain in this thread untill I posted.....damned tabbed browsing. ^_^

Your sig should become a sticky in the newb brewers section! :D

Back