Yeast Issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik

Reaction score
Pitched yeast at 35. No activity after 18 hours. What should I do.?

Pitched yeast at 35. No activity after 18 hours. What should I do.?
I guess you're talking 35 degrees ?? 40C will just about kill yeast! What yeast strain are you talking about??

I guess you're talking 35 degrees ?? 40C will just about kill yeast! What yeast strain are you talking about??

That temperature shouldn't kill it. Most yeasts will be happy at that temperature.

Mind you, they will produce off-flavors at that temperature, but most will do fine as far as staying alive is concerned. I've pitched ale yeasts at that temperature before while the wort was still cooling to room temperature.

I'm surprised that there is no activity by now since that temperature kicks yeast into high gear.

But I've seen some yeasts take over a day to get going, assuming that they aren't too old and dead.

If you used dry yeast, did you rehydrate it first? If so, did you see any tiny amounts of activity in the warm water, like small bubbles?

If you used a liquid yeast, did you make a starter first to be sure it was still good yeast?

Don

Did you use a starter to see if the yeast was viable before pitching?

If not look into it as its a great way to resolve this issue for next time and yeah I'd personally never pitch a yeast to a wort any higher than 25deg.

Are you certain it's not just that your fermenter is not sealed fully - I am guessing you may be judging activity by looking for the airlock to bubbling away.

35 degrees! :eek: You probably killed it!

I don't think this would kill it but almost certainly would of shocked it and it may take a little time to recover and get going again.

Cheers
Nige

As Bruce2 says are there any other signs of action? Condensation, krausen forming? Airlocks don't always bubble.

But I've seen some yeasts take over a day to get going, assuming that they aren't too old and dead.

Some yeasts I've used take up to 36 hours to kick off and 48+ hours to form krausen, even nice fresh stuff.

The non-optimal start temp may have given it a little shock, but it should spring back.

Just like Nige asked about krausen, etc - check on these points but don't worry. It most likely will kick off at some stage in the next day or so.

It's Sunday afternoon - go have a beer. :) I am!

Cheers - Fermented.

Gone! Must have been too much for him to take. Perhaps he's been abducted by yeast aliens

Latest posts

Back