Yeast And Esters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefty

Reaction score
I have underpitched one half of a split batch of aussie pale ale with re-cultured coopers yeast by a much greater rate than I realised and at half of expected attenuation it now tastes more like a hefeweizen (don't get me wrong, I like hefeweizens but it was definitely NOT the style I was aiming for).
If I were to re-pitch a more healthy amount of the same strain, would it consume some of these by-products after fermentation has completed (like what happens with diacetyl etc) or do I just chalk this one up to experience and "enjoy" <_< the smokey banana?

Advice?
Jono.

I haven't used it myself, but I believe the Cooper's yeast will throw banana among other things when not stressed - maybe it throws larger amounts when stressed (underpitched). You might want to pick a different yeast for future brews to avoid the banana altogether.

What temp did you ferm at hefty? I have fermented this yeast at 18C with banana flavours. I have read that 16C is the ticket for less fruitiness. Never tried 16c though.

Clatty

I've used it before without any issues (one of my best brews to date was with this yeast), you just need to make sure it's kept at the lower end of ale fermenting temps. 16-18*C and very little banana, slight pear character. Unfortunately the starter this time wasn't made early enough so even with good temps, it's banana city. It really is scarily close to the esters in a Weihenstephaner Weissebier.

Cheers!
Jono.

Clatty, this one sat from 16-18*C as well (variation coz my brew fridge is doesn't work, i just keep rotating ice bottles)
I know the under-pitching caused the esters in this case, I'm just wondering if yeast can consume esters like it can with some other by-products if I re-pitch a better amount.

Cheers!
Jono.

Chalk it up to experience due. The Esters will fade out with time, but pitching more yeast isn't going to achieve anything. As there's nothing left for them to eat they'll just sit there for a while, then maybe start attacking each other and then you'll have a vegemite taste in your beer as well...that's worst case. Best case, your beer will just taste really yeasty, either way... :icon_vomit:

is it finished fermenting yet?

maybe - and this might do no good at all - if its under an airlock, take it out & replace it with a bottle cap over the hole, rouse the yeast by giving the fermenter a swirl, and up the temp by a little (if you can with the ice bottle thing) all to try and increase fermentation activity a bit and allow the character to blow off a little as the C02 escapes. Everything you smell outside the fermentor, used to be in the beer and now it isn't.

might help to reduce the more volatile aroma compounds at least.

Latest posts

Back