Yeast Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been brewing kits and bits and extracts for quite a while, but never paid a great deal of attention to the yeast factor. Generally I went with whatever was in the packet, or the cats at the LHBS would throw whatever in when I came in for my order, with little explanation.

I've now (perhaps prematurely) moved into doing some AG, and realize the importance of each individual ingredient into the process. My question is how did the experienced brewers among us begin experimenting with yeasts? How do you know to try yeast A with grain B and hop C?

I'm sure there have been topics before, but I had a little difficulty finding any info. Any push in the right direction would be helpful.

Cheers,
Matt

read read read.

yeast wiki here
you could also read one of the online sponsors pages on yeast and their descriptions. craftbrewer's for example here

you'll then get an idea of what does what. also read up on the recipes and see what yeasts people are using in their discussions

Look up the yeast manufacturer's website for ideas on what styles to use which yeast in. If you are not familiar with beer styles, the bjcp website (google it) describes the styles in detail and gives hints on ingredients. These styles and recommendation are good guidelines to follow, but don't feel bogged down by them - feel free to make whatevr you want.

White Labs have an excellent poster (that you may be able to extract from your supplier) listing all their yeasts, descriptions, styles their suitable for and loads of other good info.

I have taken the simple approach. I use dry yeast and use US-05 for a clean profile and beers that do not need any extra character from yeast. I use S-04 for English ales. I do not have a taste for Belgian beers now so I have no need for that yeast. I have talked to other home brewers that have made the same switch.

Just way too many malt and hop combinations, then toss in a hundred or so yeasts to play with. Not to mention the effect of fermentation temperatures on any one yeast. I would never brew enough in my life to ever get close to all the possibilities with all the yeast and temperature choices. So I decided to keep it simple.

Hi guys,

I've been brewing kits and bits and extracts for quite a while, but never paid a great deal of attention to the yeast factor. Generally I went with whatever was in the packet, or the cats at the LHBS would throw whatever in when I came in for my order, with little explanation.

I've now (perhaps prematurely) moved into doing some AG, and realize the importance of each individual ingredient into the process. My question is how did the experienced brewers among us begin experimenting with yeasts? How do you know to try yeast A with grain B and hop C?

I'm sure there have been topics before, but I had a little difficulty finding any info. Any push in the right direction would be helpful.

Cheers,
Matt

Why not zoom along to BABBs (Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers) for your two free meetings as a visitor (Thursday Week - 4th Thursday in the Month google the club). At Holland Park West.

I was like you, the yeasts were just a heap of weird numbers and letters. So I started by trying the most popular dried yeasts, Nottingham and US-05 for ales and fake lagers, W-34/70 for lagers. Then when I went AG I tried a couple of the Wyeast Liquid yeasts for UK style bitters and have settled on Ringwood as my favourite all rounder. I also like some of the other UK style ones like 1469 and 1768 when they are available.

A great source of information is to go to the CraftBrewer site at the top of the page (there are other sponsors who sell yeasts etc, I mention CB as it's also local to you and you can pop in any time) and have a good browse through the yeast page.

There are dozens of yeasts I will probably never get round to using, or have little interest - like most of us you will eventually assemble a 'stable' of favourite and familiar yeasts.

:icon_cheers:

:icon_cheers:

Liquid yeasts have reasonable descriptions online and recommended styles etc. Some of them are essential for yeast driven beers etc.

As katzke mentioned - belgian styles might be one of those. As katzke also mentioned until (if in fact you ever do) you decide you want to play with specific strains, there are some clean neutral but hardworking dry yeasts like us05 to play with. Also if a kit is fresh, those yeasts can be pretty sturdy. The main problem to my mind is that they are too little (7g) and that they are kept under a lid for an indefinite amount of time instead of under refrigeration.

READ READ Read
1.Decide what beer you want to brew.
2. Decide on recipe
3.Choose yeast that suit style/ temperature you can brew at.
4 Ask specific question.

Or pick a recipe from recipeDB chose yeast that it suggest and PM originator how he went about it.
With a bity of luck you might get a response.
My suggestion to start off with an ALE type you like and go from there.
The article section has plenty of advice on how to use yeasts.
Generally one uses malts from a certain part of the world to suit style and use a yeast from same area.

If that is too much just brew with what you got and see how ot turns out. There is nothing wrong with that.

Matti :D

Back