XXXX Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like they will still keep the IBU's low with only late hop additions, not going to want to "challenge" anyone - like Tooheys did with their "Darling Pale Ale".

This must be to combat the Crown Golden Ale, surely?

I can't see this beer even converting a Little Creatures Pale Ale drinker let alone a serious craft beer drinker.

I'm going on the XXXX brewery tour again in September, I imagine it will be available in the ale house afterwards. I'm not gonna expect much, but I'll reserve proper judgement until I do try it.

Already saw cartons of this at the local dan murphys last night

I expect it will be as disappointing as the Tooheys offering....

I will give it one stubby to convince me otherwise.

I'll try to keep an open mind, but fear two rules of mass marketing apply: go for the newbies and offend no one.

A related question: I remember liking Boag's ale on a trip to Tassie years ago, but on a recent trip tried it and found it bland and nasty at the same time, which is no small trick. Have my tastes changed, or has Boag's? On thhe other hand, Cascade Pale still seemed okay, not exciting but not band either.

MORE of this?
One thing I hate is when one brand in a market innovates somehow and their competitors see that as a suit that has to be followed. They'll bring out a product that's a bit different and claw their way into the market, and everyone else sees this and thinks "hey, we're losing customers! We need to keep up with the times and give the people what they want" - which, oddly, is what the competitor is selling. Rather than genuinely innovate, they copy (think i-devices, 'lite', sugar free, pastel lower-case bullshit packaging, bland interfaces without borders) in order to stay competitive but in reality are just flooding the market with a product that is 99% likely to be worse.

XXXX Gold, huge selling beer. Innovative in pushing a mid-strength as their flagship beer. Fair enough you shouldn't rest on your laurels but first VB Pale Ale, Tooheys Pale and now XXXX Pale Ale? A quote from the article says it all I think: “The craft beer market in Australia is starting to really take off and consumers are expecting some diverse flavours… I think that’s what we’re trying to offer with XXXX Gold Australian Pale Ale”

XXXX is not a craft manufacturer. 'Craft' has solid hipster traction and is 'trendy'. Market image aside, the smaller breweries make different good beer and that is what is gaining traction. If their marketing department honestly thinks it's the 'pale ale' facet of a beer that is making people buy them then I think they're not the type to pick up a 6-pack they haven't tried before on their way home on a Friday.

My uneducated opinion is that these products will last a few months, maybe a year or two, and won't continue to sell because
a ) XXXX / CUB / LN have already conditioned their loyal customers to their lagers and;
b ) Those who already do drink ales probably won't like it because it'll be designed to appeal to the devotees.

A heading in the article - "Aussie Favourite Innovates with New Brew". TELL ME HOW THIS IS IN ANY WAY INNOVATIVE.

Marketing - the biggest con ever foisted upon this joint, out of which is made squillions. I never realised how badly i ponged until someone told me that I did and that I needed to buy Old Spice. and Brut. And a whole new language into the bargain.

[SIZE=medium]Do I have to try it to know that it’ll probably be a bland, uninteresting beer with an odd aftertaste that'll sell a gizzilion cases a year with a big $ ad budget?[/SIZE]

Brewed with a combination of specialty malts, Amarillo hops and fermented ale yeast

Fermented ale yeast.
Like Vegemite I guess?

All I can say is I'm looking foward grabbing a six pack so I can make a yeast starter.

A really well made beer, shame is that they didn't take the time to add somre malt and hops, a little body or some aroma. Apart from those couple small defects, it's bloody tops, mate.

It's actually very clever marketing. When you have such a powerful brand with solid distributions across the country it's very easy to gain quick distribution with a new sub brand. Look at Coke Life - It's everywhere. This new pale ale will sell a few cases into every shop that stocks Gold. They don't even have to re order and they've made a few million in un budgeted sales.

I grabbed a 6 pack of the pale ale last night. Very low ibu, no real decent malt and a hint of late amarillo which seems out of place. I prefer the standard gold over the pale as its better balanced.

I couldn't believe this got a spot on the prime time news.
Truly innovative craft brewers are bringing out new beers every week that actually do taste great and offer the punters something different and there's no free advertising on prime time for them.

Nothing out of place to turn the nose up at, the ideal hot summer day post-mowing beer, easily knock down three or four crisp tasteless icy cold ones to wet the whistle then move onto a real beer.

Ciderman said:
It's actually very clever marketing. When you have such a powerful brand with solid distributions across the country it's very easy to gain quick distribution with a new sub brand. Look at Coke Life - It's everywhere. This new pale ale will sell a few cases into every shop that stocks Gold. They don't even have to re order and they've made a few million in un budgeted sales.
I barely passed the only marketing subject I ever did but I seem to remember 1 thing. Coke brings out these other favours cherry coke etc for Coke drinkers to try, they don't like it and then go back to drinking Coke again. They don't feel the need to try Pepsi.
This may be more about keeping their stable XXXX drinkers happy than anything else.
I wish it was the case that the big guys were actually interested in bringing some flavour diversity to the table.

Latest posts

Back