Xmas In July Tasting - VIC

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
18. Imperial ESB

Never had a Imperial ESB before ..so I don't know if it is to style??

No head, little haze ..but hard to see in dark LOL
English hops..EKG?? bitter finish with caramel roast malts dominating

Pleasant beer for a mid session drink

I'm having JB's Imperial ESB at the moment to, lovely bitterness, malts almost cover the ABV, just a subtle hint of its strength. What ABV is it, 7%ish?
Good stuff mate, really enjoying it in front of the fire!!!

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Had it today mate, lovely beer! Aroma was magic! You're taking the piss calling it an APA with that colour though amiright? ;-)
Heh - thanks. Aroma was decent Citra & Cascade additions 60/30/15/5 and dry hopped.

I think I mentioned somewhere that it should've been listed as a gold/amber. Metric buttload of crystal in there. Over a kilo for the 50L batch, half of which was caramunich III. Hence the not paleness.

Idzy's cal common.

Changed glassware coz the head dissipated quickly again, no change..

Very pale straw with great clarity, low to medium carbonation, pronounced bitterness but somehow balanced with a beer of such a light body.

Didn't like anchor steam when I tried it but love this example of the style Adam, there are more/different hops than northern brewer in this to get the floral notes it carries yeah?

What was the yeast and temps on this out of curiosity?

Overall, light and refreshing, dayuum mad summer smasher.

Mardoo's big one has come out again.

3B: Smells great. Looks fantastic, just shy of crystal clear. BIG initial hit of flavour, but overtaken quite quickly by alcohol. Once the alcohol goes it's back to a pleasant lingering bitterness. Didn't quite have the aroma I was expecting, possibly could have opened this one a few weeks earlier?

All in all, great drop. Looking forward to more Big Dicks. And that's quite enough for tonight.

Grainer said:
18. Imperial ESB

Never had a Imperial ESB before ..so I don't know if it is to style??

No head, little haze ..but hard to see in dark LOL
English hops..EKG?? bitter finish with caramel roast malts dominating

Pleasant beer for a mid session drink
Cheers John, EKG, Fuggles & Cascade hop additions for flavour / aroma additions.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I'm having JB's Imperial ESB at the moment to, lovely bitterness, malts almost cover the ABV, just a subtle hint of its strength. What ABV is it, 7%ish?
Good stuff mate, really enjoying it in front of the fire!!!
Thanks Nath, yes mate this is a 7%er
Man fires are made for beer ... or is it the other way around? ...

ro55c0 said:
Just cracked open a chestnut pilsner. My hat is off. Outstanding.
Thanks mate, I've got two bottles left for myself I've been meaning to crack one open to check the carbonation as a few have stated it was flat. Haven't got the lager in bottle carbonation thing down pat but the last one I tried early definitely had bubbles. Perhaps due to the temperatures the yeast stratifies and only some of the bottles had enough yeast to munch the sugar?

If tomorrow afternoon is sunny, I'll check my second last bottle :)

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Thanks mate, I've got two bottles left for myself I've been meaning to crack one open to check the carbonation as a few have stated it was flat. Haven't got the lager in bottle carbonation thing down pat but the last one I tried early definitely had bubbles. Perhaps due to the temperatures the yeast stratifies and only some of the bottles had enough yeast to munch the sugar?

If tomorrow afternoon is sunny, I'll check my second last bottle :)
mines been waiting patiently in the fridge

My bottle was carbed perfectly DJ. A cracking beer. Huuuge passionfruit aroma. My mind kept telling me I was holding a Passiona right before I took a sip. Is niice, great success!

Speaking of porters (um, no wrong thread):

Grainer - RIP6

Nice John. Low carb, picking up roasted raisiny flavours. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm, smooth, smooth, smooth. Hints of choc too. What's the abv? Delish. Cheers

Might crack open the chestnut tonight..shoulda defiantly carved by now...

DJ_L3ThAL: Chestnut Pilsner,

Appearance: Clear as glass with a nice small head with longevity very light amber
Aroma: Definantly a pilsner.. can really smelt he chestnut
Mouthfeel: maybe a little more than expected but still very nice.. would have been nicer if it was a little more crisp
Im trying real hard..maybe a little chestnut after taste.

I really enjoyed this.. it was a good brew and easily worth the wait.. great brew with my german sausages, rotti and sauerkraut dinner my miss made me

13. Damn - English IPA

Deep amber colour (slight haze) with a great fluffy off white head that lasts. Not heaps on the nose, a little bready sweetness (if that makes sense). Taste is fantastic - very firm bitterness which I'm loving. Some malt sweetness which is nicely balanced with spicy hop flavour. Very enjoyable drop mate.

15. Camo6 - rye AIPA

Lovely beer mate. Fruity and bitter, yet balanced well with the spicy rye. Some haze (meh), but overall a really enjoyable beer.

Edit: for me the carb is spot on. Certainly not under and definitely not over.

Urgent request:

Anyone still have an unopened bottle of my Porter (#9) & willing to part with it? It got 1st at Vicbrew, so I'm looking for a Nat's entry to submit.

Technobabble has offered me his bottle, but it's a bit of a stuff-around to coordinate with him to collect from Reservoir & if I can find someone closer (I'm in East Doncaster), it would be great.

I'm going to re-brew the beer & will happily replace the bottle I take with multiples in return.

MartinOC said:
Urgent request:

Anyone still have an unopened bottle of my Porter (#9) & willing to part with it? It got 1st at Vicbrew, so I'm looking for a Nat's entry to submit.

Technobabble has offered me his bottle, but it's a bit of a stuff-around to coordinate with him to collect from Reservoir & if I can find someone closer (I'm in East Doncaster), it would be great.

I'm going to re-brew the beer & will happily replace the bottle I take with multiples in return.
I do Martin.

Latest posts

Back