Xmas In July Tasting - VIC

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Glad you liked it, mate. I do TRY to make good beers (when I ACTUALLY make them!!).

I'm entering my last available bottle in Vicbrew, so if anyone hasn't opened theirs so far, please hold onto it just in case I get a prize & need another one for the Nationals....

I'll re-create it & provide you with multiple bottles in return.... :)

10a Carpedaym Summer ale.

OG? FG?

Quite dry and light bodied, slight haze I'd attribute to the well balanced hops in this beer, very well balanced indeed, low to very low carb but is probably due to the season more than anything else, quite a dangerous summer ale at %5.1, doesn't taste it.. I could see summer being quite messy with this recipe

Nice one

7 mofox: citra apa

Big fluffy head that dissipates, big aroma (me like) big hop presence on the palate up front though I think there could be More bitterness to balance, lively colour to it, deep amber to ruby, lovely clarity, filtered?

I feel a slightly higher mash rest/step would have done this beer well for the bit of extra body... Dammit I wish I had more of this to her into tonight.

Mash temp? OG/FG?

Yob said:
10a Carpedaym Summer ale. OG? FG?

...slight haze...

...low to very low carb
1047 to 1008(!) I wasn't planning on it being a 5.1%, it just attenuated like a hound. US-05 if I didn't put it on the label.

I BIAB and no chill, so plenty of culprits to point the finger at for haze.

Low carb because I didn't prime it enough :( . I find this the hardest part of brewing, as a bottler. So much rides on getting the carbonation right, and you can't just tweak the dials like you can in a keg.

MartinOC said:
'Glad you liked it, mate. I do TRY to make good beers (when I ACTUALLY make them!!).

I'm entering my last available bottle in Vicbrew, so if anyone hasn't opened theirs so far, please hold onto it just in case I get a prize & need another one for the Nationals....

I'll re-create it & provide you with multiple bottles in return.... :)
Indian giver

Oh, Please, I didn't know it was that good until I tried it, then folks agreed it was actually that good....

So you brought what you believed to be an under par effort to a case swap? Frankly, I'm disgusted and if you were my son, I'd look forward to judging it next weekend..

Hey M O'C, i've still got a bottle. I was actually gonna tuck in to it tonight until i read this :p
(Caledonian accent ON) Ay'll save it fo ye, jus lemme know if ya need it. Or lemme know when ye don't need it.

PS: Don't listen to Mants, i'm sure everyone's ok with you palming off what you thought was a shite beer onto the other swappers :unsure: ... :D

It's a VERY nice beer........ I can look after it as safe keeping if you like!??

OK, I'll bite.....

I brewed a pretty standard Aussie Pale Ale for the swap & it was definitely no good, so I subbed it with the porter I put into the case swap (which was meant for my partner's Uncle). Then I drank what was left-over except for one bottle (which I found amongst my swap beers) & decided to enter Vicbrew for the first time in over 10 years!!

Thanks, Tecno. I'll get back to you after next weekend one way or the other....

I know! I took the bait anyway...

Judging Porters next weekend, eh? I can get that changed y'know.... :p

Yob said:
7 mofox: citra apa

Big fluffy head that dissipates, big aroma (me like) big hop presence on the palate up front though I think there could be More bitterness to balance, lively colour to it, deep amber to ruby, lovely clarity, filtered?

I feel a slightly higher mash rest/step would have done this beer well for the bit of extra body... Dammit I wish I had more of this to her into tonight.

Mash temp? OG/FG?
Extract! (Briess cans) My kit wasn't quite ready in time, although I did an AG version of this in earlier Aug (pretty damn close - and yeah, I upped the BUs!)

It was a pilsen, bavarian wheat/barley and golden LME blend in a 2:2:1 ratio. Plus a good hit of dark and light crystal malts.

Made up 50L of this, so there is still some kicking around... probably starting to lose aroma by now so I should get stuck into it :D

Edit: Spleeing.

MartinOC said:

MartinOC said:

You know I won't have any idea what I'm judging until about 8 minutes before the calibration beer. Porters would be good though.

I've got a bottle labled 4 but it's a stout.. Came as a bit of a shock to pour..

Medium to high carb, tan head of large bubbles that faded moderately quickly, roasty aroma and dry to medium bodied that suits the beer, subtle battering and a moderate hop presence rat I feel is a nice balance

Some warmth following a sip so judging it reasonably high alcohol but the FIL and I ate enjoying it

Technology, is this yours or some random?

mofox1 said:
Extract! (Briess cans) My kit wasn't quite ready in time, although I did an AG version of this in earlier Aug (pretty damn close - and yeah, I upped the BUs!)

It was a pilsen, bavarian wheat/barley and golden LME blend in a 2:2:1 ratio. Plus a good hit of dark and light crystal malts.

Made up 50L of this, so there is still some kicking around... probably starting to lose aroma by now so I should get stuck into it :D

Edit: Spleeing.
Had it today mate, lovely beer! Aroma was magic! You're taking the piss calling it an APA with that colour though amiright? ;-)

Yob said:
I've got a bottle labled 4 but it's a stout.. Came as a bit of a shock to pour..

Medium to high carb, tan head of large bubbles that faded moderately quickly, roasty aroma and dry to medium bodied that suits the beer, subtle battering and a moderate hop presence rat I feel is a nice balance

Some warmth following a sip so judging it reasonably high alcohol but the FIL and I ate enjoying it

Technology, is this yours or some random?
Hey Jesse. Yeah it's mine. It's meant to be an Old Ale, something like a Theakstons Old Peculier. You've drunk it 2 weeks too early!! I actually had a sample stubby last night - much improved over the last 4wks, but still not where I wanted it. Maybe I should've said to drink it in November. I think it's ~6-6.5%.
I hope it was well enjoyed!

6 robust porter.

Know shite all about this style but here's my impression.

Almost black, pours a nice tan head but fades very fast, at 6.2% I'm not surprised, doesn't taste it though.
Slight roasty aroma but not overly strong, medium to full bodied with some astringency and coffee up front, moderate to high bitterness with little to no hop flavours, no noticeable ester profile. Very low carbonation.

Is a nice beer but lacks the finish due to the carbonation letting it down I think.

Like to try one fully carbed, spewing I'm not drinking this at home, I'd have decanted and force carbed in a PET

:)

This one was slightly undercarbed.. ti was after my bottle bomb that hit me.. so I under carved the next few batches LOL

Latest posts

Back