Xmas In July Tasting - VIC

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow thank you. Glad you liked it.

Must say I have been very nervous. It's only a kit beer and after some of the fantastic beers I have been tasting I was wondering what I had done and whether it was up to scratch to all your beers.

But as I always say. As long as I like it and can drink it, that's all that matters hey!

Don't get scared-off by kits, mate. We all started with them & I've tasted some great kit beers (one of the Canberra brewers put-on a lambic with a kit/kilo & a kilo of raspberries at the last ANHC Club night & it was superb!).

The only thing to ask yourself is how much control you want over your beers before you eventually get sucked into the vortex of AG :D

9. Caledonian porter.

Poured at ambient, low to medium carbonation, tan head that fades fast (my glass perhaps?) medium to full bodied behemoth of a beer, some lingering warmth and a lingering bitterness,quite dry on the palate though so a lovely play, throughout, roasty/chocolate aroma..

How big is this beer? A very nice beer, would love to see an oaked version :)

Thanks, Yob. That's pretty-much how I feel about it too.

6.5% ABV (A basic recipe I've played-around with for years, with 1Kg of dextrose added just to bump-up the ABV without it getting cloying/sweet). That's why the head doesn't stick-around.

It was meant to be for my partner's Uncle as a "thanks" for giving me an old 18-gallon keg, but my original swap beer was (as you know!) lacklustre, so this got pressed into service for the swap. His loss, you guys' gain :)

Dunno about oaking ('though the idea intrigues me..). The only thing I DO want to try is the same beer with Wyeast 1335 (one of the Adnams strains).

I'll get around to it once I get electricity in the new shed (TOMORROW!!!!).

Friday Froffy time, just cracked open Damn's English IPA. Smooth is the word here, not overly hoppy or bitter, plenty of sweet caramel, a good thick off white head and pretty clear. A really enjoyable beer, I'd be happy to drink this all afternoon :)

Had Idzys brew a few nights ago.. very pleasant light brew.. easy to drink.. good job mate

I tried Damn - English IPA while I tried my new rig tonight.

I was too busy mucking around getting everything right to pay attention to the be, so here is my review.

It was very nice I want more.....this is an awesome beer to drink while brewing.

Seriously what I do remember - nice hoppy aroma, nice head, nice clarity, not super hoppy bitterness for an IPA but still really nice.

I also tried Rossco's bottle bomb Rye IPA.

after it finished gushing there was about 3/4 of a pint glass left - which was a real shame as this was a really good beer that I really wanted more of.

MartinOC said:
Don't get scared-off by kits, mate. We all started with them & I've tasted some great kit beers (one of the Canberra brewers put-on a lambic with a kit/kilo & a kilo of raspberries at the last ANHC Club night & it was superb!).

The only thing to ask yourself is how much control you want over your beers before you eventually get sucked into the vortex of AG :D
Haha very true. I'm increasingly adding lots of extras and have started reading up on BIAB. So I fear it won't be too much longer :)
It's just so damn much fun!

Grainer said:
9. MartinOC - Caledonian Porter on steroids

Appearance Deep ruby red with a rich tanned head, although a little on the small side that demninishes

Aroma: Malt with alcohol behind it.. maybe a bit strong for a Porter, Mollassas and chocolate with rich plum dominating, Good clarity

Mouthfeel: Incorrect for a porter.. I learnt this as mine is incorrect as well.. requires more mouthfeel.

I still think there is diacetyl or something????, but a judge can tell you that I am only guessing as I am not a judge....
I gave a bottle of this to a mate of mine who's BJCP qualified & his response was "better than average", which is a REAL compliment from the guy - he doesn't hold back on being blunt, so if he thought there was diacetyl, he would've said-so. I fermented at 18C & gave it a 3-day diacetyl rest anyway @ 20C-ish, so there shouldn't be any.

I disagree that both our porters lacked mouthfeel. In fact, I'd say we both got a bit too much.

As per the post in my MrsGrumpy is away thread.

My son, another mate and I had a tasting night of the swap beers last night.

This is the aftermath...

IMAG0011.jpg

I'm sorry to say - that there aren't any detailed comments.

The ones that stuck out were

mofox1's Citra APA
Yobs APA
Idzy's Steam beer.

Sadly two were flat as a tack

"Wedgetail Brewery Irish Red" not sure who's this is but it had the very nice label - still quite tasty, and would have been pretty good with a few bubbles.
DJ_L3ThAL's Chestnut Pilsner - also flat as a tack.
Finished the night with MartinOC's Caledonian Porter. Man that thing was smooth - and was just the ideal way to finish the night.

Thank you very much to all you boys for the delicious beers

I shared a bottle of Black n Tan's "The Witches Cauldron" American Imperial Red Ale with my father in law last night, I wish I hadn't shared it now :)

It had the same sort of flavour as the bridge rd red ale but so much bigger in the mouth, really smooth and almost velvety, it took me a good 30 minutes to sip my way through the glass and as it warmed it improved further turning into a really rich beer. I absolutley loved it, well done!

7. Mick (mofox1) - Citra APA.: Big fluffy head, dark red/brown, clear. This was my last beer for the night and what a finish. An APA I will strive to get close to, plenty of hops, I would of said IPA. I fell asleep with 1/2 bottle warming next to me and it got better. Maybe I served too cold. Beautiful drop. Thank you.

hmm..some more of those beers should be carved up soon.. about 18 bottles to go

Yep popped a stack of the "give a few weeks" beers into fridge last night, let the onslaught begin.

Had the witches cauldron imperial red ale last night also. I dont have much experience in red ales but I did enjoy the creaminess in the head, was definitely a bit of hot alcohol on my palate but guess thats horses for courses with a lot of imperial beers? Good job overall it had a nice 5mm thick creamy head all the way down my pint glass and was a very well clarified brew :)

19. Nullnvoid - Amber Ale

Mate, this is delicious. Nice and malty with an almost sugary aroma. I would have liked a touch more bitterness, but that's my default!! Awesome head retention and a lovely amber (funny that) appearance. Well brewed mate.

5. GrumpyPaul - Scottish 80 aged on bourbon soaked oak

Wow. Just wow. Paul, I could sniff this beer forever mate - smells delightful. The oak is definitely there both in aroma and flavour. The oak is balanced really well for my taste, I wouldn't want any more. Nice alcohol warmth in the belly, but certainly not in the mouth. My only problem...I've shared this bottle with a mate...

1. Yob - APA

Lovely beer mate. Yes, was over carbed coming out of the bottle, but has settled down nicely. Firm, clean bitterness which I'm loving and a hop flavour to die for. Nothing too big on the aroma, but the hop flavour is where it's at with this one. Nicely balanced with the malt - perfect for an evening in the shed knocking out a hoppy lager. Would love to know the hop combo if you're happy to share.

As an aside, loving the case swap thing. I can honestly say I've enjoyed every beer I've tried so far. On one hand, it's great to try so many new beers. On the other, it's cruel that I've only got one of each...

GrumpyPaul said:
Thanks for the feedback AJ80...glad you liked it
A pleasure mate. Like would be an understatement ;-)

Latest posts

Back