Xmas In July Tasting - VIC

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about the rye IPA's, my test bottle was a bit fizzy but nothing to indicate bottle bombs, and I'm always careful with final gravity readings (especially when I know I'm going to be sharing the bottles). My beer is kept in the garage which stays pretty cold so I guess they must have warmed up and started fermenting again. My apologies to all, I hope my bombs dont take out any innocent bottles sitting next to them :(

All good mate, hopefully everyone is exercising caution even before this.

Please take note of beer types and store correctly too ie. My chestnut pilsner for example should be lagered at fridge temps. Room temp would be equivalent of storing an ale on your heater.

Hey Ro55c0,

I had a similarly gushing batch last year. If you want to check for infection you can let some de-fizz and do a gravity check. If the gravity is the same as the FG then it's likely over carb or some other issue.

Hey, I did a count & noticed i'm missing 11, 12 & 24.
12 & 24 were no-shows obviously, but did anyone else get an 11? I noticed someone else posted a while back of missing it also.

I sorted them all in order of what they were in..only Grumpy got screwed a bit... i don't have 11 either.. must have been a no show!

I couldn't find Breakbeer's chai milk stout in my collection. Did this end up in the swap?

there were 1 or 2 that run out..not enough numbers i think..happy to split it if you wanna come round for a beer some time

Serves me right for cutting the line and bailing but SWMBO had patiently waited out the front of Yob's for twenty mins with two partied out daughters (thank f*&k for smart phones,Youtube & Peppa Pig).

And John, save that bottle as long as you can and I'll take you up on that offer when my life gains some normality!

Sounds good.. Got some Russian Imperial Stouts I just put down they are sensational...

Grainer said:
Got some Russian Imperial Stouts I just put down they are sensational...
Even if you do say so yourself.... :p

'Sure they're not infected? :ph34r:

Camo, I've got a few bottles left over so I'll put one aside & work out a way of getting it to you

tbh, I'm not holding much hope for my swap beer. Prelim' taste tests had an overpowering alcohol taste, which I put down to the addition of the chai/vodka tincture . Hopefully I'm wrong & it'll settle out, but don't shoot me if the beer is not my best

I also opened Ro55co's Rye IPA & 3/4 of it ended up on the laundry floor. Which I suppose is better than it exploding. The few sips I had were pretty tasty though

MartinOC said:
Even if you do say so yourself.... :p

'Sure they're not infected? :ph34r:
. doesn't matter i still drunk your beer.. even if it was infected !!

Micbrew - Irish red ale

Another swappie - another great beer. Lovely caramel aroma and the thing is crystal clear. Awesome ruby colour when held to the light and a head that really lasts. Tastes great - nice body with some residual sweetness. Not overly bitter, but damn drinkable.

Well brewed mate, very enjoyable.

Exploding Rye IPA .Review

Yes it blew its load...

HEAPS OF HEAD is an understatement..cause of that it is very cloudy from the yeast sediment getting mixed up.

Having said that the smell was great out of the sink.. beautiful citrus notes overpowered the smelly sneakers in there!!! Apart from that yum.

very alcoholic on the taste.. maybe it had undergone some tertiary fermentation from an unwanted bug...I am surprised that the hops have lasted so long and kept in the glass to give the citrus notes.. I have never had a rye IPA.. having said that if it hadn't of had the infection or overcarbing or what ever it is i think it would have been a nice brew. I managed to get 1 1/4 glasses out of this

..the rye is defiantly there and accentuating the hops of a typical IPA hop combination. so I am going to drink the glass :drinks:

Bud luck mate.. could have been a good drop .. happens to everyone at some point in time.. just ask Martin :kooi:

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Grainer said:
. doesn't matter i still drunk your beer.. even if it was infected !!
Impossible!

Well, POSSIBLE, but unlikely in the timeframe you tasted it in.

I stand-firm in my sanitation processes & will defend them to the death, or it's ballons & Blunderbusses at dawn for you, Sir!! :huh:

Back