Xmas In July Tasting - VIC

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Yob - APA (carbed but could do with a couple more weeks if you have no patience drink now)
2. Idzy - California Common Steam Ale - Ready to drink - drink at the start of your session, rather than end, as this is a more subtle tasting beer.
3. Mardoo - Big Dick Brewing labels. It says on the label when to drink, but the 3A-Big Brown Cock should have another month ideally although it says now. It drinks pretty well around 10 degrees but will ease up nicely with another month. 3B-Golden Rooster, drink September (Hope you like the pisstake on craft beer marketing :) )
4. Technobabble66 - Old Ale, hopefully similar to Theakston's Old Peculier. Drink in ~10 wks. ie: Drink on Grand Final Day. Invert & shake bottle once a week for the next few weeks (apologies!).
5. GrumpyPaul - Scottish 80 aged on bourbon soaked oak READY TO DRINK. bottled about 8 weeks ago
6. Grainer - Robust Porter..READY TO DRINK.. some lucky boy got treacle stout as well...
7. Mick (mofox1) - Citra APA. [17-Aug-2014] I didn't wait and it's still so good... :ph34r:
8. Relaxed brewer - oatmeal stout and EPA (a stubby of each... accidentally drank to many to put 2 stubbies of 1 type in)
9. MartinOC - Caledonian Porter on steroids. Meh! Just drink it now or over the next couplea months (before Grainer's dubious infection theory proves correct). BTW, I just blew the keg it came from.... :(
10a. CarpeDaym - Quaffer Pale Ale
10b. Meats - Almond Chocolate Stout
11. Luke1992 - NZ IPA
12. zeggie
13. Damn - English IPA, ready to drink, bottled 7 weeks ago. It gets better ea week, so I guess it wont hurt if you leave it some. Don't serve Ice-cold.
14. DJ_L3ThAL - probably my Chestnut Pilsner
15. Camo6 - Rye AIPA - Ready to drink though a bit low carbed due to priming measure.
16. micbrew - Irish Red Ale
17. Warmbeer - 'Scapegoat' oatmeal stout - Ready to drink, but will improve with time
18. JB - Imperial ESB
19. Nullnvoid - Amber Ale - bottled 2 weeks ago, leave another 2 weeks for it to carb up more.
20. Whiteferret - Irish Red Ale Bottled on the 16/7/2014 I'd leave it for a bit to carb up, was clear as goin into the bottle.
21. AJ80 - chocolate vanilla stout - Ready to drink (please be gentle and drink this at around 10C)
22. Breakbeer
23. Black n Tan- "The Witches Cauldron" American Imperial Red Ale (partial stein beer)- DRINK NOW (MADE 3 MONTHS AGO)
24. syl

1. Yob - APA (carbed but could do with a couple more weeks if you have no patience drink now)
2. Idzy - California Common Steam Ale - Ready to drink - drink at the start of your session, rather than end, as this is a more subtle tasting beer.
3. Mardoo - Big Dick Brewing labels. It says on the label when to drink, but the 3A-Big Brown Cock should have another month ideally although it says now. It drinks pretty well around 10 degrees but will ease up nicely with another month. 3B-Golden Rooster, drink September (Hope you like the pisstake on craft beer marketing  )
4. Technobabble66 - Old Ale, hopefully similar to Theakston's Old Peculier. Drink in ~10 wks. ie: Drink on Grand Final Day. Invert & shake bottle once a week for the next few weeks (apologies!).
5. GrumpyPaul - Scottish 80 aged on bourbon soaked oak READY TO DRINK. bottled about 8 weeks ago
6. Grainer - Robust Porter..READY TO DRINK.. some lucky boy got treacle stout as well...
7. Mick (mofox1) - Citra APA. [17-Aug-2014] I didn't wait and it's still so good... h34r:
8. Relaxed brewer - oatmeal stout and EPA (a stubby of each... accidentally drank to many to put 2 stubbies of 1 type in)
9. MartinOC - Caledonian Porter on steroids. Meh! Just drink it now or over the next couplea months (before Grainer's dubious infection theory proves correct). BTW, I just blew the keg it came from.... 
11. Luke1992 - NZ IPA
12. zeggie
13. Damn - English IPA, ready to drink, bottled 7 weeks ago. It gets better ea week, so I guess it wont hurt if you leave it some. Don't serve Ice-cold.
14. DJ_L3ThAL - Chestnut Pilsner - LAGER IN FRIDGE UNTIL 1ST SEPTEMBER!!!
15. Camo6 - Rye AIPA - Ready to drink though a bit low carbed due to priming measure.
17. Warmbeer - 'Scapegoat' oatmeal stout - Ready to drink, but will improve with time
18. JB - Imperial ESB
19. Nullnvoid - Amber Ale - bottled 2 weeks ago, leave another 2 weeks for it to carb up more.
20. Whiteferret - Irish Red Ale Bottled on the 16/7/2014 I'd leave it for a bit to carb up, was clear as goin into the bottle.
21. AJ80 - chocolate vanilla stout - Ready to drink (please be gentle and drink this at around 10C)
22. Breakbeer
23. Black n Tan- "The Witches Cauldron" American Imperial Red Ale (partial stein beer)- DRINK NOW (MADE 3 MONTHS AGO)
24. syl

3. Mardoo - Big Dick Brewing labels. It says on the label when to drink, but the 3A-Big Brown Cock should have another month ideally although it says now. It drinks pretty well around 10 degrees but will ease up nicely with another month. 3B-Golden Rooster, drink September (Hope you like the pisstake on craft beer marketing  )
7. Mick (mofox1) - Citra APA. [17-Aug-2014] I didn't wait and it's still so good... h34r:
9. MartinOC - Caledonian Porter on steroids. Meh! Just drink it now or over the next couplea months (before Grainer's dubious infection theory proves correct). BTW, I just blew the keg it came from.... 
11. Luke1992 - NZ IPA
12. zeggie
18. JB - Imperial ESB - bottled a couple of weeks ago, so could do with a couple more weeks to smooth out the sweet malt slap across the chops.
22. Breakbeer
24. syl

11. Luke1992 - NZ IPA
12. zeggie
18. JB - Imperial ESB - bottled a couple of weeks ago, so could do with a couple more weeks to smooth out the sweet malt slap across the chops.
22. Breakbeer - Chai spiced Milk Stout - only bottled 2 days before the swap, so give it as long as possible
24. syl

10a. CarpeDaym - Quaffer Pale Ale - DRINK TOWARDS THE END OF SEPTEMBER... needs a serious carbing up.
11. Luke1992 - NZ IPA
12. zeggie
22. Breakbeer - Chai spiced Milk Stout - only bottled 2 days before the swap, so give it as long as possible
24. syl

8. Relaxed brewer - oatmeal stout and EPA (a stubby of each... accidentally drank to many to put 2 stubbies of 1 type in). Ready to go now and labeled ESB & OS.
10a. CarpeDaym - Quaffer Pale Ale - DRINK TOWARDS THE END OF SEPTEMBER... needs a serious carbing up.
11. Luke1992 - NZ IPA
12. zeggie
24. syl

Had Black n Tan's AIRA last night. Deeelicious. I'm not one to accurately describe what I taste but it was a beautifully crafted beer. Big caramel maltiness and plenty of hop aroma. I'd be wrapped if I could brew a beer of this calibre. Any chance of posting the recipe?
Cheers BnT. Cam.

Also, whose is the beer with a 2013 caseswap label (by Ro55co) on it for a rye ipa? Is it an old label or actually from last year? Couldn't see it in the list.

he removed himself from the list but ended up dropping them off... caused all sorts of confusion on the day :lol:

Naturally, us all being sober.. it was easily sorted ;)

Camo6 said:
Had Black n Tan's AIRA last night. Deeelicious. I'm not one to accurately describe what I taste but it was a beautifully crafted beer. Big caramel maltiness and plenty of hop aroma. I'd be wrapped if I could brew a beer of this calibre. Any chance of posting the recipe?
Cheers BnT. Cam.

Also, whose is the beer with a 2013 caseswap label (by Ro55co) on it for a rye ipa? Is it an old label or actually from last year? Couldn't see it in the list.
Had the same last night too.

Great caramel with a bit of roast coming through. "Thick" was the expression that came to mind. Bit cheeky calling it a red though... it was _dark_

What yeast did you use BnT? There was something in it I couldn't place...
Great start to the list anyway.

Of course, the beer is basically out of Brewing Classic Styles (Westcoast Blaster) with some dry hopping added. I also caramelise part of the wort by adding superheated granite rocks (a dozen fist sized granite rocks heated directly on a BBQ flame for a few hours).
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Westcoast Blaster (NHC 2012 1st)
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 57.11 l
Post Boil Volume: 50.44 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 42.00 l
Bottling Volume: 38.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 31.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 55.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.5 %
Boil Time: 80 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
50.00 l Melbourne Water Water 1 -
6.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -
4.20 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
10.52 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 4 79.3 %
0.85 kg Crystal, Pale (Simpsons) (90.0 EBC) Grain 5 6.4 %
0.85 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 6 6.4 %
0.44 kg Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) (55.2 EB Grain 7 3.3 %
0.44 kg Crystal, Dark (Simpsons) (240.0 EBC) Grain 8 3.3 %
0.17 kg Pale Chocolate Malt (Simpsons) (500.0 EB Grain 9 1.3 %
64.00 g Horizon [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 37.6 IBUs
60.00 g Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 6.6 IBUs
60.00 g Centennial [10.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 11.6 IBUs
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 13 -
1.00 Items Irish Moss (Boil 5.0 mins) Fining 14 -
60.00 g Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
60.00 g Centennial [10.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 17 -
2.00 tsp Gelatin (Primary 5.0 days) Fining 18 -
40.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs
40.00 g Simcoe [12.60 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 20 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Braumeister Ale Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 13.27 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 0.50 l of water and heat to 40.0 C 40.0 C 10 min
Sacch 1 Add 0.00 l of water and heat to 67.0 C 67.0 C 75 min
Alpha Amylase Heat to 72.0 C over 6 min 72.0 C 15 min
Mash Out Heat to 76.0 C over 7 min 76.0 C 10 min

sparge with 12L 76C water. Top up with 2L water into fermenter. Ferment at 19C. Raise to 21C when fermentation slowed. 4 day cc, add gelatin day 2. Bottled 17/4/14. FG 1.015

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mofox1 said:
Had the same last night too.

Great caramel with a bit of roast coming through. "Thick" was the expression that came to mind. Bit cheeky calling it a red though... it was _dark_

What yeast did you use BnT? There was something in it I couldn't place...
Great start to the list anyway.
Red was a stretch I agree: the hot rocks really darkened it up more than I expected and took it from red to brown. Brown IPA (draft BJCP 2014 style guidelines) would probably be more accurate. Wyeast 1056 was the yeast.

Black n Tan said:
Red was a stretch I agree: the hot rocks really darkened it up more than I expected and took it from red to brown. Brown IPA (draft BJCP 2014 style guidelines) would probably be more accurate. Wyeast 1056 was the yeast.
Wow... neat recipe. 1056 is pretty much the same yeast as saf 05, right? Maybe is was the biscuit malt, yet another ingredient I'm yet to try.

I can't really criticise colour... my "pale" is certainly more of an "amber". :lol:

I'll be just giving the common mans tasting reviews.
2.Common steam ale: as stated light refreshing beer. Excellent summer beer. Hints of galaxy? Stonenwood light? Good job.

I am far from qualified so will only be giving common man opinions too. Trying to work up the number system, so have started on number 2 as yobs is going to be left a couple of weeks.

The steam ale is sensational, it's got a taste I can't pick, very easy to drink. I have started on it first before anything. Would make an awesome summer drink!

Relaxed brewer - oatmeal stout

Mate, this is delish. Bitter dark chocolate on the nose and one hell of a long lasting head. Very smooth drinking. Full bodied and the bitter dark chocolate is there too. No astringency from the roasted malts and a sweet finish. Did I mention this brew was smooooooooooth?

Perfect for a cold Friday night in the shed mashing!!

Edit: although not astringent, the roast is certainly there. Disappointed there's only a stubby of this!

23. Blackntan. Bit better than Carlton and tooheysold. Frikn phukin perfect in fact. Not sure what to say. I want to keep going back for this. If we're dong the season's this is now. 9.9

5. Scottish 80. Was looking forward to this maybe had it out of order. Very good, different.not familiar with barrel or wood chip beer. Maybe the wood chips are little over powering? Educate me. I've since read up on it. This would be my coldnwindy fishing beer. Still enjoying it. Thanks

Grainer - robust porter

Nice beer mate. Slight roast on the nose (a touch fruity also) and some serious head retention. Lowish carb which I liked and very smooth drinking. Not as much roast/acrid malt coming through as I was expecting on the flavour and maybe not quite bitter enough (for my tastes anyway). That's really just being picky really - it's a nice, easy drinking beer.

Latest posts

Back