Xmas In July Tasting - VIC

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to put some of the swap beers in the shed fridge tonight and found it already full of beers you blokes left..

definite first world problem developing :party:

2. Idzy - California Common Steam Ale. I really was not sure what to expect here. I thought steam beers were lagers brewed at elevated temperatures, but this is an ale. Pours a lovely bright straw to gold with a good lasting head and nice lacing. A lovely subtle fruit on the fore leading into a grainy malt and a lingering bitterness. Reminds be somewhat of a Kolsch, although a little more fruity and bitter. Is the fruit all hops derived or yeast (what yeast and temp)? Idzy this is a lovely beer and very well made. You should be proud.

Yob said:
I went to put some of the swap beers in the shed fridge tonight and found it already full of beers you blokes left..

I thought you made sure all beers were taken :). You seemed quite emphatic that all beers were to be taken and none left behind :). Surely that happened!

Yob said:

My case of swap beers and a cube should be at your place somewhere waiting for me to pick up..maybe that would explain the more than expected beers

GrumpyPaul said:
My case of swap beers and a cube should be at your place somewhere waiting for me to pick up..maybe that would explain the more than expected beers
I made sure there were 2 crates put aside for you and Yob would be holding on to them for you..cheers

There are 2 boxes, assumed to be ro550, 2 green crates and another crate packed pretty full,

Your cube is by the shed door.

Gimme a ring, we'll sort it out

Black n Tan said:
2. Idzy - California Common Steam Ale. I really was not sure what to expect here. I thought steam beers were lagers brewed at elevated temperatures, but this is an ale. Pours a lovely bright straw to gold with a good lasting head and nice lacing. A lovely subtle fruit on the fore leading into a grainy malt and a lingering bitterness. Reminds be somewhat of a Kolsch, although a little more fruity and bitter. Is the fruit all hops derived or yeast (what yeast and temp)? Idzy this is a lovely beer and very well made. You should be proud.
Idzy - California common

There's nothing much I can add to this description (particularly as I've not tried a commercial example). I'm pretty sure you gave me a try of this at the swap and I like it just as much now as I did then. Dry and refreshing with a delightful fruity aroma ( restrained galaxy would be my guess or maybe Ella). This would be perfect for a hot, lazy Sunday arvo (but I would need more than one!).

Well brewed idzy - would be keen for the recipe.

Picked up my swap at last.....I wish you buggers would label clearly. Yob and I had a channel figuring out what was what. Looks like I might be missing a couple, but its hard to be sure when they have been sitting outside - paper labels don't hold up to this wet weather too well.

Starting off with one without a number.....

Green stubby with ESB on the lid.

Pours a nice head - pretty loose (big bubbles) head dissipated pretty quick
Colour is Medium Amber/deep copper - which is spot on for an ESB.
tiny bit on the cloudy side - but I think that's chill more than any thing
Carbonation is moderate - again spot on for style.
I cant pick the hop that was used but it has mild hop flavour up front and nice and malty on the back of the palate as it goes down.

Overall a very nice ESB.

Well done whoever you are.

GrumpyPaul said:
Picked up my swap at last.....I wish you buggers would label clearly. Yob and I had a channel figuring out what was what. Looks like I might be missing a couple, but its hard to be sure when they have been sitting outside - paper labels don't hold up to this wet weather too well.

I cant pick the hop that was used but it has mild hop flavour up front and nice and malty on the back of the palate as it goes down.

Overall a very nice ESB.

I think the ESB belongs to JB.

I have a bottle with the number 50 on it. It's either that or os. No idea what that is :)

I think the ESB & OS were from Relaxed Brewer.
The OS was an Oatmeal Stout.
Word on the street is that in an Alcohol-Fueled Frenzy he guzzled his way through whichever he intended to swap, & had to sub in the other. Hence a stubby of each.

Yep that's right. My Imp ESB is #18 & probably nothing close to a true ESB ;)

Yep no shows from what I can tell. Poor form I think. I don't have a number 11 but that could be just a swap day mishap, which is understandable.

I asked on the day and I'm pretty sure all were accounted for, however, by the end of the swap there was loads leftover somehow..

Things were possibly confused...

technobabble66 said:
I think the ESB & OS were from Relaxed Brewer.
Word on the street is that in an Alcohol-Fueled Frenzy he guzzled his way through whichever he intended to swap, & had to sub in the other. Hence a stubby of each.
And for good reason too. I sampled his Apa and his Aaa and they were nothing short of amazing. Really had that magic home brewed touch. The type that cannot be bought in a bar or bottle shop.

Still kicking myself I couldn't get anything into bottles for this swap.

Ah of course, it says on the list, OS is the oatmeal stout. Must have had too many under my belt when I went shopping in the crate :)

I was luck enough to get one of Grainer's treacle stout. Haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to it.

GrumpyPaul said:

Overall a very nice ESB.

Yeah we missed yours then tried to scrounge up a few but I think we gave you a few extras as consolation..

Nullnvoid said:
Ah of course, it says on the list, OS is the oatmeal stout. Must have had too many under my belt when I went shopping in the crate :)

I was luck enough to get one of Grainer's treacle stout. Haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to it.
Damn you... I only have 1 bottle left LMAO

Just put about 5 bottles in the house to get ready to drink.

Latest posts

Back