Xmas drop - What you planning & what do you recommend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bottled up the West Coast Red Ale recipe from Brewing Classic Styles last week, it was tasting pretty nice! Followed it up on the weekend with a Janet's Brown and was the first time in about 10 AG batches that I came close to hitting the right numbers. I put it down to either brewing sober for a change or my new Thermapen giving accurate mash temps.

I was to squeeze in another beer before Xmas. Either a DSGA or a Pliny clone... not sure yet! Probably the DSGA since I've already got 2 hoppy beers on the cards. How good is summer :)

I am very excited for Xmas season. For the first time, I will be trying American IPA. Hope I get it correct in taste. I feel BIAB method is easy and requires little equipment.

I've got an Old Ale down for the olds (at FILs request)...

...a pretty mild Summer Blonde Ale for the swill drinkers...

...and a rye saison (which I suspect has a touch of Brett in it too) for me and the one other brewhead in attendance.

Add in the usual hodge-podge of left-overs from the last few months of brewing and that is Christmas Day and the Boxing Day Left-Overs BBQ taken care of.

toolio666 said:
Just carbing the saison, & lagering the pilsner, while trying to finish drinking a new world ale. Then wife wants a kolsch. Thinking bittering with magnum, then Ella. But I want a American IPA. Thinking centennial, chinook & cascade with BR97. Or an Aussie pale with galaxy & Ella.

Thoughts?
That C hop combo is a cracker mate. Made a couple of extract batches a while back and am drinking them now. Keen to apply the same thing to an AG brew once I get some more Chinook.

I still have a carton & a half of my xmas ale brewed for last year, It's tasting pretty good now so I'll get into a bit of that.

Also trying to brew a beer that the family will enjoy with pils base, bit of caramunich & galaxy to about 25-35 ibu (not decided yet)

Back