Wyeast Bavarian Lager 2206

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score
Made up a starter on the weekend for this yeast and today I pitched it into my MaiBock.
I've used a lot of liquid yeasts in my time but this had to smell the best out of all of them. I was really surprised by the malty caramel like aromas that wafted out of my starter jar, not yeasty at all, incredibly aromatic, I'm really keen to taste this brew as in ferments out.

Has anyone else experienced with this yeast been surprised by the malt aromas?

Andrew

Andrew, all I can tell you is that you will not be dissapointed with 2206 if you want a malt driven lager :chug:

C&B
TDA

Yep, the culture tasted so good that I split it and drank half, then recultured the other half up to 3 litres for a Rauchbier.

forgive me. :p

Ah 2206 my favourite lager yeast, fantastic in those German style malty lagers.
Love it!
BB

Andrew, all I can tell you is that you will not be dissapointed with 2206 if you want a malt driven lager :chug:

C&B
TDA

TDA, this is my first attempt at this style and was hoping to capture those nice malty overtones so this sounds like it will fit the bill.

Les the Weizguy Posted Today, 11:14 AM
Yep, the culture tasted so good that I split it and drank half, then recultured the other half up to 3 litres for a Rauchbier.

forgive me.

Your forgiven Les, I now wish I'd had a little sample of the starter before I poured off the excess, Guess I'll just have to wait a couple of months for the final product, although I will have a taste when I rack it.

BoilerBoy Posted Today, 01:41 PM
Ah 2206 my favourite lager yeast, fantastic in those German style malty lagers.
Love it!
BB

BB, is this yeast more suited to the bigger style lagers like Bocks ect or is it suitable for your average lagers as well? Seems like a hell of a lot of malt aroma going on there.

Andrew

BB, is this yeast more suited to the bigger style lagers like Bocks ect or is it suitable for your average lagers as well? Seems like a hell of a lot of malt aroma going on there.

G'day Andrew.

Yes your probably right, but I have used it in a pilsner with NZ superalpha and Saaz B and another with Saaz D and it really adds a broader dimension of malty flavour. If your after that really clean crisp lager finish I wouldn't use it, but for the sake of variety and something a little more complex other than your standard pilsner its a good flavour trip.

Try it in a Vienna lager as well its sensational! :beerbang:

Cheers
BB

G'day Andrew.

Yes your probably right, but I have used it in a pilsner with NZ superalpha and Saaz B and another with Saaz D and it really adds a broader dimension of malty flavour. If your after that really clean crisp lager finish I wouldn't use it, but for the sake of variety and something a little more complex other than your standard pilsner its a good flavour trip.

Cheers
BB

Having tried several of BB's pils with Super Alpha, Saaz D and the 2206 I can vouch for the use of this in the pils with a difference Andrew! :icon_drunk:

C&B
TDA

i also have good results using this yeast in pale lagers

G'day Andrew.

Cheers
BB
Now I'm even more interested, as I have a 26l batch of no-chilled POL's recipe Vienna lager to ferment. Hmm, I can pitch a Maibock on top of the yeastcake, and then a Doppelbock. Too easy! :D

How did this one turn out Andrew? I used this yeast a fair bit prior to going to S-189 dry :ph34r: From memory it was a great yeast as German Lagers are my fav's. I think I should give it another go.

Steve

Never used this yeast but usually hear nothing but great things. I was therefore surprised this morning when I came across this (i was procrastinating) from David Logsdon of Wyeast:

"Avoid our strains #2206 and #2308 when brewing Oktoberfest or other medium-high- to high-gravity beers. They're excellent yeasts, and #2206 is the most popular yeast in Europe these days. Unfortunately they both develop too much fruitiness in high-gravity beers. Those esters really clash with the malt in an Oktoberfest."

from 1993
http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/s...s/1_2style.html

yet on their website they list as appropriate styles for the 2206 yeast
Styles:
Classic Rauchbier
Doppelbock
Eisbock
Maibock/Helles Bock
Munich Dunkel
Oktoberfest/Mrzen
Schwarzbier (Black Beer)
Traditional Bock

Confusing.

What would he know anyway

How did this one turn out Andrew? I used this yeast a fair bit prior to going to S-189 dry :ph34r: From memory it was a great yeast as German Lagers are my fav's. I think I should give it another go.

Steve

Not sure yet Steve, it's lagering still. I might take a gravity reading tonight and have a little taste, I'll let you know.

Andrew

Never used this yeast but usually hear nothing but great things. I was therefore surprised this morning when I came across this (i was procrastinating) from David Logsdon of Wyeast:

"Avoid our strains #2206 and #2308 when brewing Oktoberfest or other medium-high- to high-gravity beers. They're excellent yeasts, and #2206 is the most popular yeast in Europe these days. Unfortunately they both develop too much fruitiness in high-gravity beers. Those esters really clash with the malt in an Oktoberfest."

from 1993
http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/s...s/1_2style.html

yet on their website they list as appropriate styles for the 2206 yeast
Styles:
Classic Rauchbier
Doppelbock
Eisbock
Maibock/Helles Bock
Munich Dunkel
Oktoberfest/Mrzen
Schwarzbier (Black Beer)
Traditional Bock

Confusing.

Used the 2206 in a Traditional Bock that won its class in the Victorian Beerfest this year, and it was the most malt-driven beer I've tasted. No fruity esters clashing with the malt. Just pitch big and keep the temp nice and low.

Think the general feedback on this yeast speaks for itself.

Tim

I recently did a vienna lager with this yeast that unfortunately was subject to quite high fermentation temps however having tasted the first bottle last night after 3 weeks in the fridge I can detect no fruity esters which surprised me so I'm very pleased!

What I want to know is, I kept the slurry from the brew with some of the wort and kept it in the fridge. It's been in there 3 weeks now and wondered if it can be used in another brew? If so how should I prepare it?

Thanks

I recently did a vienna lager with this yeast that unfortunately was subject to quite high fermentation temps however having tasted the first bottle last night after 3 weeks in the fridge I can detect no fruity esters which surprised me so I'm very pleased!

What I want to know is, I kept the slurry from the brew with some of the wort and kept it in the fridge. It's been in there 3 weeks now and wondered if it can be used in another brew? If so how should I prepare it?

Thanks

Pour off the beer, speak nicely to it for 5 min then pitch your wort onto it (at or just a tad below lager fermentation temp of course)

Screwy

Andrew ,

How was the ferment with this yeast, Roughly how long to primary and at what temp, did you need a diacetyl rest? I ask cause I'm using White Labs Bock yeast which I think is quite similiar and it fermented out in 6days at 10degc and wondered if you found a similiar thing with 2206.

hockadays

Bit of a thread hijack, but it's been dormant a couple of months and is kind of relevant...

Was reading a thread on jim's beerkit here and was wondering how people find the S189 compares to 2206?

Have heard a lot about the thomas hardy ale and was suprised to find that they originally used a lager yeast (apparently). Not planning on doing a big barleywine just yet, but was contemplating doing one when I finish uni at the end of the year as one I can pull out whenever I catch up with mates from uni in the years to come. I figured this beer would be a good place to try and start basing my recipe.

I guess the other option is a belgian dark strong...

Thanks for any input

Dave

Was reading a thread on jim's beerkit here and was wondering how people find the S189 compares to 2206?
Interresting you raise this question Dave, I find them quite similar, with the 2206 perhaps having the upper-hand (usually the way comparing dry with liquid yeasts).

I did a split-batch German Pils, 2xpacks of S-189 in one, 2206 in the other, both fermented at about 10-11 deg. Found that the S-189 finished quicker, settled out and was drinking within a week or 2 of lagering! The 2206 took a bit longer both to settle-out and mature, though the end result was a tad smoother and cleaner (blind-tasting with a fellow brewer at work - not very scientific huh!). Very similar (read "clean") profile from both these yeasts, with the S-189 having a slight dry-yeast tang (must be the amino acids and other nutrients they feed the yeasties before drying them out.)

Hutch.

Cheers for that info Hutch

Sounds like the 2206 might be the go, I was thinking of just using a couple of packets (maybe more) of S-189 to save some time and money. I think when I get round to it I'll invest the extra little bit of effort and $$$ and make up a starter from the liquid yeast seeing as its a beer I want to be able to pull out in ten years time ;)

Cheers

Dave

Latest posts

Back