Wyeast Activation Issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back Yard Brewer

I HAVE A WIFE THAT UNDERSTANDS
Reaction score
I am an avid user of Wyeast, basically its the only yeast I use but in recent times I have had packs that fail to activate. Now before brewers go off on a gallop about how I handle the packs after purchase, well as far as I'm concerned I don't have any. This post, well for me anyway is more so aimed at other regular users and whether they have had any issues with wyeast or whether I am just unlucky :(. The two packs this year have been well inside the 6 months recommended usage. More recently (yesterday) I smacked a Wyeast 2001 March 21 manufacture date and it failed to swell after 8hrs. Because of the batch size I brew the norm is to propigate in a conical so I pitched it into a conical and crossed my fingers that overnight it may take off........... as of Midday today, nothing. So from my experince (4years of using this method) its likely that it is fooked.
My retailer has replaced my previous pack but to me its more of a inconvenience than a money issue. Out here in the sticks (some city folk think that ;D) its a two hour return drive for more yeast and when I want to brew this week ......well.

So has anyone else had issues with Wyeast in recent times?

BYB

I've had wy2206 barely swell at all over 24hrs, and then take a full week in the first step of a starter to show any signs of activity. It only needs a few of the billion cells to build up. But yes, it is a pain in the arse, I concur. It is much more fun/reassuring to have a swollen pack 24hrs after smacking to pitch into a starter.

I've used them for a couple of years and never had one that completely failed to get there in the end. :icon_chickcheers:

I am an avid user of Wyeast, basically its the only yeast I use but in recent times I have had packs that fail to activate. Now before brewers go off on a gallop about how I handle the packs after purchase, well as far as I'm concerned I don't have any. This post, well for me anyway is more so aimed at other regular users and whether they have had any issues with wyeast or whether I am just unlucky :(. The two packs this year have been well inside the 6 months recommended usage. More recently (yesterday) I smacked a Wyeast 2001 March 21 manufacture date and it failed to swell after 8hrs. Because of the batch size I brew the norm is to propigate in a conical so I pitched it into a conical and crossed my fingers that overnight it may take off........... as of Midday today, nothing. So from my experince (4years of using this method) its likely that it is fooked.
My retailer has replaced my previous pack but to me its more of a inconvenience than a money issue. Out here in the sticks (some city folk think that ;D) its a two hour return drive for more yeast and when I want to brew this week ......well.

So has anyone else had issues with Wyeast in recent times?

BYB
No.

2001 March 21 Manufacture...

ten year old yeast heh :p

sim

2001 March 21 Manufacture...

ten year old yeast heh :p

sim

Woops typo :rolleyes: 2011

Depends a great deal on the age of the pack and the patience of the brewer.

Yes it does but as an end user I do have expectations on reliability for money. Actually I should re-phrase by also saying that I have made some excellent beers from Wyeast. If the yeast is stored as manufacture has stated and used within this period, well....... Secondly if a pack fails to swell after 24hrs and I subsequently pitch it into a conical and it still fails..........

I have never used White Labs but am having one delivered today so if things take off I may be a new convertee. Just hope I don't get withdrawal symptons from not using Wyeast :p

BYB

I've had one or two out of a shitload not activate, but I still pitch into a starter and they came good. I find both companied yeast great. I think wyeast is easier to get a hold of.

I've probably only used a dozen or so Wyeast smackpacks and every one of them has swelled within a few hours. All mine have been really fresh packs though.

Swelling within 8 hours is definitely not the norm from my experience, its more like 18 but then if it is cooler it can take a day or so. Like MJE I usually ramp mine up in a starter as most of my beers need more than the pack supplies. In any case and have never had a failure with Wyeast, even with some pretty old (passed useby) packs.

cheers

grant

Just went through a similar thing with the 2001 pils yeast BYB, funnily enough, mine was a Feb/March manufactured pack. It did eventually start to swell, even after 18 hours it was just swollen so I pitched it into a 1 litre starter and it fermented out okay.

If the yeast is stored as manufacture has stated and used within this period, well....... Secondly if a pack fails to swell after 24hrs and I subsequently pitch it into a conical and it still fails..........
Given that freshly manufactured (not internationally shipped and stored for some time) Wyeast (and WhiteLabs) packs are designed to have about 100billion yeast cells and to be pitched directly into 5 US gallons (~19L) of average gravity wort, you might be expecting a little much if you do not treat the yeast with the TLC it needs, give it time to swell, make a starter and all that stuff.
If you can't be bothered giving liquid yeast the treatment it needs it needs to work well, it may be best to use dry yeast which is so much easier to use.

BYB, You're using a 3 month old pack of liquid yeast & expecting it to take off after 8hrs - I'm afraid that's rarely going to happen, whatever brand you use.
The beauty of Wyeast smack packs is that you can get a pretty good idea of the the viability, by waiting to see how long it takes to swell.
I've posted this a dozen times or more DO NOT PITCH YOUR PACK UNTIL IT SWELLS! There is NO point in pitching earlier, as the yeast has not started firing. Leave it in it's perfectly sterile enviroment until there's action, then you'll know for sure 100% that the yeast is alive.

Cheers Ross

BYB, You're using a 3 month old pack of liquid yeast & expecting it to take off after 8hrs - I'm afraid that's rarely going to happen, whatever brand you use.
The beauty of Wyeast smack packs is that you can get a pretty good idea of the the viability, by waiting to see how long it takes to swell.
I've posted this a dozen times or more DO NOT PITCH YOUR PACK UNTIL IT SWELLS! There is NO point in pitching earlier, as the yeast has not started firing. Leave it in it's perfectly sterile enviroment until there's action, then you'll know for sure 100% that the yeast is alive.

Cheers Ross

so if you use whitelabs yeast you never pitch, cause they dont have a gimmick to make poeple think the yeast is already firing. i cant see the problem with using an unsmacked pack if it is fresh enough.the swelling only indicates activity and the yeast is not growing at all in the packet.. next you will say if the airlock is not bubbling fermentation hasnt taken off yet. exact same principles at play.

Hi Ross,
If a smackpack fails to swell at all, can you still use the yeast to make a starter or is it only worth binning?

Cheers

Cheers Ross

so if you use whitelabs yeast you never pitch, cause they dont have a gimmick to make poeple think the yeast is already firing. i cant see the problem with using an unsmacked pack if it is fresh enough.the swelling only indicates activity and the yeast is not growing at all in the packet.. next you will say if the airlock is not bubbling fermentation hasnt taken off yet. exact same principles at play.

Don't be so bloody daft!!!

It is not a gimmick, if it doesn't swell the yeast is dead. I did not say don't pitch any yeast before it swells I said don't pitch a Wyeast smack pack before it swells. There is no problem pitching a fresh unsmacked pack if the contents have been kept in good health, but why would you do it before activation, there is no point? With a Whitelabs vial you you have no way of telling the viabillity before pitching, which is why I personally prefer wyeast.

Ross

Hi Ross,
If a smackpack fails to swell at all, can you still use the yeast to make a starter or is it only worth binning?

Cheers

No, the yeast is stuffed.

Cheers Ross

You could use it (I have when desperate) but it will need to be propagated up. Maybe 2 rounds of propagation for a bigger batch. Don't use it unless it becomes very active in your propagator...

As Ross suggests though, the best idea would be to replace it with a healthy starter.

Can you leave it swollen in the pack for too long before pitching, because personally I would rather leave it in the pack and defer the brew day rather than risk a whole days brewing because the yeast isn't ready.

Can you leave it swollen in the pack for too long before pitching, because personally I would rather leave it in the pack and defer the brew day rather than risk a whole days brewing because the yeast isn't ready.

Within reason, no problem. Just put back in the fridge if it swells before needed - pull out on brew day & give it a good shake before pitching.

Cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back