Wy3191 Slow Starter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
Hey guys, i pitched a wy3191 - Berliner weisse (manufactured in august 2010 - i think) in a 1050 OG wort, still after 4 days it hasnt taken off yet. is this a common yeast to be a slow starter? I took it out of the fridge and shook the absolute shit out of it a couple of days ago and it still didnt take off, took it out of the fridge and it warmed up to 24-ish deg and still nothing. When i smacked it it only took about 6 hrs to become fully swollen so i dont know where i went wrong?

I pitched it into 20deg wort.

Should i order another one or give it a couple of days?

Hey guys, i pitched a wy3191 - Berliner weisse (manufactured in august 2010 - i think) in a 1050 OG wort, still after 4 days it hasnt taken off yet. is this a common yeast to be a slow starter? I took it out of the fridge and shook the absolute shit out of it a couple of days ago and it still didnt take off, took it out of the fridge and it warmed up to 24-ish deg and still nothing. When i smacked it it only took about 6 hrs to become fully swollen so i dont know where i went wrong?

I pitched it into 20deg wort.

Should i order another one or give it a couple of days?

You don't want it to take off too quickly in my opinion anyway(well the lacto you do.. but not the yeast) I'd say it'd be fine. 1.050 is probably stronger than it's normally used for too but I think it'll be fine. Mine took 3 days before I got krausen (it gives massive rocky krausen). Too late to repitch anyway, I'd just wait it out and see.

Q

yeah mate should be right, you dont want it to be going to mad, it is just using its energy slowly so it should ferment for a nice 5 6 days

Back