Wtb - Usa Shopping List

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
We are off in mid September to the US and I am thinking of what to purchase for my brewery. Anything I buy I'll probably chuck straight in the mail from there and send it back to Aus as soon as I get it.

Thinking of:

- Crankandstein mill upgrade, currently I have a two roller mill, but might upgrade to the three roller version, means I would have the two roller up for sale
- March pump, morebeer has them for $155, but they have a stainless one for $300, I have asked if they can get the 230v motor for this one
- spider couplings from mcmaster.com, cheap as and need them for my malt mill and mash stirrer

What other goodies could I look at?

Basis for all this is that we still have quite a bit of cash left over in our USA bank accounts from when we lived there and we have decided to go on a shopping spree whilst there, including clothes, motorcycle gear and for me, brewing gear!

More Beer

Vist these guys they have everything you could ever need.

Kleiny

yep kleinys right morebeers the go.

while your over there mind posting me back one of these?

1000stainless.jpg

I'm in the US at the moment and can vouch for the speed and service of northernbrewer.com. They don't deliver internationally so a good opportunity for when you're over! They offer a bunch of goodies so might be best window shopping now.

Good luck! :)

just prepare for the shipping to cost more then the items... we recently shipped the father in-law's oak desk over and cost us 1300

I'd proberly spend most of the cash in brewpubs and come home with not much at all :chug: , look out for beer clothing etc and badged glassware. :super:

you can get all that stuff over here prett easily, you sont want to carry a mill aroudn in your bag, when you could have a carton of amazing beers, that are not availabel here.

Go anything stainless (conicals, kettles), and yep Morebeer and Blichmann are the go.
Perlick beer taps are the hot item at the moment too :p

Doc

I have Perlick taps already, so that is out of the question. Morebeer will get an order for sure.

Kirem, you have already pointed out the shiny conical at Chi Company, I'll fit that in my carry on luggage for you!

I have been quoted US$800 for a 6 cubic meters crate to be shipped from Ohio to Drysdale. Seriously thinking about this, all the goodies......

I've been over in the states for the last couple of years. There's no more sea freight so you have to do air, you can get some pre-paid style boxes which are small but have a large weight allowance (check usps.com). So if you are buying small heavy stuff like beer taps they are not bad, you can also just pay by weight which can actually be more economic. Postage internally in the US is fast and cheap so getting it to your hotel will be a breeze.

It's funny i've been here so long I take it all for granted but I am coming home next March so have to put together my own shopping list (although I have a 44' sea container so size is a limited consideration).

If you don't have a good convoluted chiller I would think of one of those, quick disconnects, silcone hosing, march pumps. Really pretty much whatever upgrade bits you want as they will be cheaper than AUS most likely. Really look at morebeer & northernbrewer they have it covered. Mcmaster are good as they have every damn thing, not the cheapest but damn convenient (I will be ordering about 1,000,000 orings before i leave).

Have fun.

Oh and what Jayse said, there are a tonne of good beers here (west coast anyway) and cheap as so drink up.

Convoluted chiller - got one from St.Pats when they were selling them, great bit of kit
Quick disconnects - I have polysulphone ones from McMaster, but want the stainless ones for NPT fittings, but McMaster is so expensive for them, BeerBelly has them for a third the cost, just British thread instead

Silcone hosing - now that is a thought! 3m of that could be handy.

March pumps - waiting to hear from Morebeer to see if they can get the 230v motor on the stainless head model

It's funny i've been here so long I take it all for granted but I am coming home next March so have to put together my own shopping list (although I have a 44' sea container so size is a limited consideration).

Bulk buy anyone :lol:

BYB

I've been over in the states for the last couple of years. There's no more sea freight so you have to do air, you can get some pre-paid style boxes which are small but have a large weight allowance (check usps.com). So if you are buying small heavy stuff like beer taps they are not bad, you can also just pay by weight which can actually be more economic. Postage internally in the US is fast and cheap so getting it to your hotel will be a breeze.

If you don't have a good convoluted chiller I would think of one of those, quick disconnects, silcone hosing, march pumps. Really pretty much whatever upgrade bits you want as they will be cheaper than AUS most likely. Really look at morebeer & northernbrewer they have it covered. Mcmaster are good as they have every damn thing, not the cheapest but damn convenient (I will be ordering about 1,000,000 orings before i leave).

Have fun.

Oh and what Jayse said, there are a tonne of good beers here (west coast anyway) and cheap as so drink up.

Jason,

Depending on the size of your home/apartment, you will be surprised how fast a container fills up, I certainly was surprised. But there were several things I regretted bringing back from the USA with me.

Avoid bringing back any form of digital electrical item! If they have a clock or timer in them, they will not work properly as they use the electrical cycle (hz) to run the timers and they are all screwy here. Even if you use a step down transformer they do not work properly. That said, just avoid bringing electrical stuff in general, I think my shaver and my march pump are the only thing that is left in use after the problems.

John

Latest posts

Back