• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wtb: Polycarbonate Tubing For Sight Tube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crozdog

Lunchbox Legend!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

does anyone have any 1/2" polycarbonate tubing spare??

I'm looking to make a sight tube on a herms (don't want to burn out elements by evaporating too much) & would like 400 - 450mm of 1/2" polycarbonate tubing to use with compression fittings.

Happy to pay for the tube & postage

Beers

Croz

Hi guys,

does anyone have any 1/2" polycarbonate tubing spare??

I'm looking to make a sight tube on a herms (don't want to burn out elements by evaporating too much) & would like 400 - 450mm of 1/2" polycarbonate tubing to use with compression fittings.

Happy to pay for the tube & postage

Beers

Croz

Just putting it out there that i'm looking for a similar length piece as well. Same as above applies!

Have you had one shipped recently?
I was quoted a high shipping price and told it was because the tube-length does not fit in the smaller/cheaper packages.

I had 2 shipped, along with the special cleaning brush and a bi-metal thermometer, it was $30US for postage. Maybe not worth it just for the one, but if you get an order together for a few things(maybe with someone else to share postage) its well worth it. They're great bits of kit.

This is the reply to the email I got to my email 3 months ago:
(The website says if you order more than $80 and want it shipped internationally you have to pay more/priority shipping).
"With that order so far, I'd pack that into a medium flat rate box which costs $48 to ship. The medium box can't be used if there are any sight glass kits in it."
... so I concluded that the postage pushed the costs too high.

Might be the specifics of your order, I too got one a while back for $14 shipping, which is what the website calculates at checkout as shipping cost for the sightglass kit on its own.
For under $30 (as it was at the time with Aus v US dollar), it still worked out cheaper than any alternative local solution I could source.

Hi Croz and Clueless,
Ihave a few Mts. gathering dust here. PM me with your address and I will post to you.Don.

Forgot to add.... Poly tube you can have for 0 ... pay for the post only.

hey DonMac if they dont grab it all could i get in on some of that tube?

Cheers
mic

MISTAKE.....The poly carb Tube that I have been refering to is not 1/2 '' but in fact 3/8'' I have just measured it.
It is what I have used for mine. Use 3/8'' fittings.

thats fine with me. also im in adelaide so can pick up ifs your cool with that, and if its not all spoken for that is.

I would love some Don, if it's not all gone! Happy to pay as well.

Cheers,
Clint

MISTAKE.....The poly carb Tube that I have been refering to is not 1/2 '' but in fact 3/8'' I have just measured it.
It is what I have used for mine. Use 3/8'' fittings.
That's still fine by me!

You got pm!

Hey has anyone got some pictures explaining how they attach the tubing to a fitting?
Thanks.

Lots of Pms. All the 3/8" poly carb tube has been taken.

Eight happy guys will receive the tubes next week.

Guys the postage did not cost me much but if you can be bothered,

post a few postage stamps back to my senders address on the back of the package

to cover cost of postage. Please ...do not send any more than that

I am pleased it can be put to use.

Don.

You're nothing but a bloody nice guy DonMac :)

DonMac, you Rock! It just turned up.

Absolutely perfect! Just waiting for my fittings to arrive now to fit it up! :)

Hey has anyone got some pictures explaining how they attach the tubing to a fitting?
Thanks.

Acasta, for my sight glass (polycarbonate tubing) i literally use 90degree (elbow) brass compression fittings. Fits nice and snug, no leaks.

Available from every hardware store, and they are only like $4 a fitting or thereabouts.

ALSO, IF THERE ARE ANY BREWERS OUT THERE WHO MISSED OUT ON THE KINDLY OFFERED TUBING PREVIOUSLY, I HAVE A FEW LENGTHS APPROX. 35CM LONG THAT MAKE GREAT SIGHTGLASSES TO FIT 50LT KEGS OR SMALLER.

PM ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE SOME AND WE'LL SORT SOMETHING OUT. I'M NOT AT HOME AT THE MOMENT BUT I AM SURE I HAVE 5 LENGTHS SITTING AROUND DOING NOTHING.

Back