• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB Over the side electric element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you need any more persuasion to not buy the cheapies, one of mine crapped it self at the wire junction last night. Noticed it when I cleaned it. it fell apart. This morning there was a little black scum floating on the wort. mildly annoyed.

Folks, most of the photos I see of these OTS elements seem to be chrome/nickel, but I've just noticed they also come in black.

I found a post that says the black ones are better.

Thoughts??

beer belly said:
These are fine . I have been using them for over four years . You can drop them in as far as you want they are quite safe fully immersed . The only problem with these is that they don't have an earth.
I nearly fell over when I read this, I'm sorry but recommending to another brewer to immerse the element beyond it's design is just fucked, sure you might get away with it 100 times but they are not designed to be fully immersed and are insulated to protect against accidental water penetration, when you are deliberately dropping them into boiling water which will degrade the insulation, your just asking for it... it's your choice to do it but bloody don't recommend it to others for christ sake.

if someone does get zapped from one of these, remember there is 20-40lt of hot wort reading to be dragged down on top of them as their muscles spasm.

by all means, buy them, use them but use them to the manufacturers spec........

brando said:
Folks, most of the photos I see of these OTS elements seem to be chrome/nickel, but I've just noticed they also come in black.

I found a post that says the black ones are better.

Thoughts??
So, black or silver guys?

I broke my second one today playing with it. It was excessive play. Not worth the risk on another batch of wort, as I poured in the garden the batch away that had the scum.

I bought those cheap elements as an interim measure and for back up in the future. Got out the gas burner this arv and will do another batch tomorrow night.

The ots elements black or silver wont matter as much as long as you care for the join where the element connects to the wire.

This is where they fail.

It can be hard to tell if u have cleaned a black one properly.

Latest posts

Back