• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB (Melbourne / Ferntree Gully Area) - Lots of stuff to get me starte

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwavz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I bought a starter homebrewer kit yesterday to get some of the basic stuff ready to start an extract brew.
Also got some pots and strainers.
I am wanting to get into all grain and/or partial mash brewing pretty soon too and had a visit to KegKing yesterday and a few ideas. Unfortunately on a somewhat limited budget so am trying to source some used gear if I can please.

Also wanting to chat to a few locals to get some advice and talk home brewing. Maybe share a few beers eventually and just get into the scene (if I am welcomed)

Want To Buy / Source
  • Fridge / Chamber for fermenting (I have a heat pad and was going to start on a bench but have been advised and read that temp control is key to a better brew)
  • Temp control for heat/cool (STC-1000 or similar)
  • Keggle / Big Pot
  • Gas Burner
  • Immersion chiller (or plate chiller)
  • Another Keggle or Pot for tiered system
  • Thermometer
  • Bags
  • Eventually looking at Kegging system / Kegerator

Appreciate the help and any feedback.

Cheers,
Gwavz
Located in the Ferntree Gully area (VIC)

Melbournebrewers.org

Get to their next meeting, plenty of locals there, you should get a lot of help if you ask.

You want any bottles, let me know, there is also a swap coming up in a few months based in ringwood, plenty of people in one area to shoot the shit with/at..

Keep an eye on the regular haunts like gum tree et.

Thanks for the quick reply guys...

Thanks practicalfool: added into my calendar and emailed the info@ email.
Thanks Yob: I have a few bottles here, but might need more soon :) A swap sounds good. Do you have more information on this please? I assume there are some details in the forum I can read too. I have seen a couple of fridges locally on GumTree and will check them out soon. Just a matter of time and actually getting the temp controller and fridge soon enough.
Thanks Rob.P: Might have to go the China eBay route if I can't source one locally. Although I did see a different controller type at KegKing.

Fun times shopping for homebrew stuff. Getting excited and just want to brew heaps!

Cheers.

Hey Yob, where would I find info on the Ringwood swaps?

Cheers

Have a read of this thread for details of the Vic Swap meet.

It's a bit late to get on the list of swapper. But you can always add yourself to the list of "Non Swapping attendees".

Good chance to meet a heap of other brewers and there are plans for a massive collaborative brew in the vicinity of 400ish litres.

Plans for food a plenty and lots of fun.

I have a fridge, that was functioning when I moved it outside but has been in the weather for a month or so - can't see why it wouldn't work...

It is all fridge and fits any style 30L fermenter.

Its yours for a 6 pack of something nice and you pick it up from Warrandyte - AH.

PM if you are keen.

Cheers

Might sound silly but have a look at your local transfer station/tip I got a nice fridge for nothing that was almost brabd new!

Gwavz,

Personally wouldn't bother with the plate chiller IMO. Most people I've talked to do a no chill method by either glad wrapping your pot lid overnight till it drops to desired temp or they/I put the wort in a plastic cube push all the air out and tighten the lid and let it cool. If you cube it you can also put in storage till your ready to tip into fermenter. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/65801-no-chill-cube/.

Also consider electric element vs gas for your brew pot. Look into BIAB (brew in a bag) for an easier step into all grain. Grain and Grape have demos every sat using a variety of brewing methods that are worth the visit to watch.

Contact your local wedding reception center's for a bountiful supply of screw top long necks.

Good luck, you'll find the guys here more than helpful.

Damn.

Hi There Gwavz,

I have a lot of gear I am getting rid of in two other threads.
I also have a lot of crown seal bottles and caps I could give you if you are after some.
I also have a heap of plastic coopers bottles if you want these.

If you want all the bottles I will give you the capper.
You just have to come and pick them up.
I am in Bacchus Marsh but work in Deer Park

Hey Gwavz

I was in your situation a few years back. I remember how daunting it can be. You're welcome to come and check my setup out - I'm in Kew (inner east). DM me and we'll work something out.

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback so far.. it's been great. Almost there I think!
I just can't wait to start and make all the mistakes I am supposed too :)

Would be great to check out some others kits and get an idea of what I can and can't do.
Cheers, kahlerisms: I might just do that!

hey man I've got a couple kegs I picked up cheap happy to do whatever conversion you need for a keggle HLT whatever, sure we could work it it out for your budget. PM me if you're interested I am in west Footscray but pass that side often. Also plate chillers are the bomb brought by brew down to pitching in 15min. If you're going no chill use the cubes great way to pasteurize and keep out any nasties. Good luck stepping up to AG!!

Mardoo said:
Take up Cocko's offer for the fridge! If for some reason you don't then get on to Freecycle. Fridges come up every week or so.

https://groups.freecycle.org/MelbourneOzFreecycle/description
Cheers for the freecycle tip Mardoo! Just picked up a biggun (500L Kelvinator) that fits both fermenters. :)

Now I don't feel so bad that I paid too much for an ebay bar fridge... and then subsequently farked it when I tried to move the ice box (fridges don't work when the magic gas comes out....)

Mick

Though note it only does heating OR cooling and is only rated to 5A
Splurge says heating AND cooling.

'Did notice that temp. accuracy is only to within 1C, 'though.

Gwavz, the suggestion to join a club in your local area is probably the best one - bar none.

MartinOC said:
Splurge says heating AND cooling.
It does, but note there is only a single power circuit (the usual unit has 2)
Therefore you'll only be to heat or cool separately, not at the same time

Latest posts

Back