• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB Coir Hop twine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerfarmer

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody knows where I can purchase some coco coir twine to trellis my hops. I think 8mm strand is the norm. I've had no luck finding this over the years. Need enough for 60 plants but happy to buy more for future. Cheers!!

Sorry, can't help. But this part of your request sounds incredibly interesting!!

beerfarmer said:
... Need enough for 60 plants but happy to buy more for future. Cheers!!

Don't know if it's coir, more likely sisal,but Bunnings have a coarse heavy twine. I use it for supporting tomato plants.

Yeah I've tried sisal, it breaks as hops get quite heavy when fully loaded, and sisal doesn't doesn't age well in sun and rain. Hop growers use an 8 to 12mm coir twine, it's braided like rope.

Yeah crouch, life's always interesting on the farm. Got some new varieties coming so why stop at 60. I do love a good Harvest Ale!!

Hey neb, trying to get away from bailing twine. It's what I end up using mostly but generates massive piles of waste. I want twine that will compost down with the bines once they are cut down.

Cheers spork! I think I spoke to these guys on the phone last year but was too late so he tried to sell me 3mm which is why I went for sisal as it was the same thickness. I guess I'll give them a call again.Im a bit earlier this year.. Thanks for help!

Ha... Just got off phone to same guy as last year, tried to sell me 3 mm but after lengthy beery conversation, looks like he might be able to squeeze a bale into next shipment for late August. $578.00 for the bale plus freight to Tas ain't cheap thou. Might be selling some lengths soon! Gotta be dedicated in this game!!

Obviously not at the 60 plants level, but I got good results with brickies line last year after tiring of bunnings twine breaking.

Yeah brickies line would last a while you would think! Anyway I'm gunna bite the bullet and order a bale I think. It works out to be 2400 lengths. So cheaper in the long run. Looks like I might be planting an acre of Hops!! Yeeha

Seeing as you're in Tassie, are there any hop farms near you that you could go "visit" and have a chat to someone to see if you can just buy some direct from the farms?

I feel I am probably best off sourcing my own supplier as I need a fair amount twine. Pretty happy to get a couple of years worth in one transaction. As a farmer myself I know it could be a pain in the arse to supply the needs of others when fullfilling ones own needs.

i use gun line. probably not the right name but its a navy term.
its the braided polyester line.

barls said:
i use gun line. probably not the right name but its a navy term.
its the braided polyester line.
I think that might be same as the skinny rope you can buy for curtains. I had a bunch of (really) old packets of Kinnears stuff and thats what I use. it's tough enough to leave up and rip the dead plants off at the end of the season. I did that yesterday by the way. I thought that was a bit odd that my Tettnang still had green leaves on it a few weeks ago(Melbourne) but I figured I better get em down as there are fresh shoots emerging now.That's a bit early aint it?

The shit I use wont break down so unsuitable for OPs purpose.

I have other plants that just scramble over wire trellis. I get plenty of hops and don't have to do much work. I think the need to emulate commercial methods is overstated. Each to their own though. Brewers love a project eh?

For 60 plants though you need to get it right Beerfarmer!

Hi BeerFarmer,

I'll be planting 11 plants this year and was wondering what to tie them up with. I may be interested in buying some off you if you get a whole bale. Otherwise I'll have to scrounge some baling twine!

Cheers

Anyone reusing baling twine the big bulk bales would have long lengths and very strong and be a hazard if not collected after use .

Back