Wort cooling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewy

Reaction score
Putting down an APA in the morning. Doing a 5 L boil (extract) with a final volume of 15L

Do you recommend just cooling the wort in an ice bath & adding room temp (20c) water or will adding 10L of chilled water (4-6c) be enough volume to get me close to 18-20?

Also, approx how long does it take to chill 5L of wort (less 30min boil off loss) in an ice bath?

Cheers

Depends how big the ice bath is. The most important bit is getting the wort below around 80 degrees (the point where hop acids are isomerised), beyond that time isn't so critical.

It won't take you long to drop the temp below that point, but it may take a bit longer to get to pitching temps. It will be faster if your keep both the wort and water moving (i.e. swirl your pot in the bath).

JD

I usually put my 8L pot with around 5L of boiling wort into the kitchen sink with cold tap water and 4 ice packs (agitating the water frequently). It takes around 20-30 minutes to get to a temperature that when topped up to 20L with tap waster is pretty much spot on for pitching.

Always seems to take forever, especially when brewing at night. Perhaps 45 - 60 min?

Rosscomatic said:
If you add 5L of water at 100c (boiling water) to 10L of water at 4c then the overall final temp will be 36c with 15L of water.

If you rapidly cool it to 80c then

5L at 80c + 10L at 4c will give you 15L at 29c

No I'm not that clever... I used this website:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/mixing_water.htm
Great website. Cheer!
4 L @ 50C + 11 L @ 6C = 18C

Latest posts

Back