Wort Chilling Biab (crown Urn)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclessia

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm just completed my 6th batch of BIAB in my new crown urn and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I haven't had much success with my whirlpools but my beers are still getting decent clarity.

Anyway, I'm starting to think about improving the wort chilling/filtering steps in my process to chill faster so I can pitch on the same day and ideally minimise the amount of trub in the fermenter.

So far I've tried no chill in a cube, no chill in the urn and sanitized ice bricks with varied success, but I'd like more control and a faster brew process and clearer wort.

Can anyone recommend a set up? I brew in my apartment so I don't have a permanent space set up for brewing and I don't have access to a garden hose fitting - only a kitchen tap (unless I run a long garden hose from the washing machine tap).

I was thinking a whirlpool immersion chiller and perhaps a magnetic pump would do the trick - though I haven't seen any whirlpool immersion chillers for sale in Australia. Would this be overkill?

Otherwise would gravity fed plate chiller and a hop sceen (http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4209) do the trick?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mat

Hi Eclessia,

Just started a thread about apartment all grain in the AG section.

I run a mashmaster 30 plate chiller from my kitchen tap. Most taps have an aerator fitting that will unscrew and allow you to fit a hose fitting from bunnings with some stuffing around. If that didn't work, I was just going to cut down a hand shower attachment fitting which is like a rubber cup that clamps around the end of the tap.

Hope that is some help for ya!

Hi Eclessia,

Just started a thread about apartment all grain in the AG section.

I run a mashmaster 30 plate chiller from my kitchen tap. Most taps have an aerator fitting that will unscrew and allow you to fit a hose fitting from bunnings with some stuffing around. If that didn't work, I was just going to cut down a hand shower attachment fitting which is like a rubber cup that clamps around the end of the tap.

Hope that is some help for ya!

Thanks Fat ******* - I'll join in over there.

Back