Wort Chiller Coil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOG

Reaction score
I've been no chilling for a while but as summer arrives it's becoming harder to get the wort down to pitching temp in a resonable time.
I've been putting the hot wort in a cube and placing it on the first step of the pool. While the pool was very cold it didn't take much time to get the temp down. Now that summer is on it's way it's takes considerably longer.

So I've been thinking I'll make a Wort Chiller Coil.

My question is how long should it be (meters) and how much water does it use to chill your wort to pitching temps?
I know it depends on the temp of the house water but roughly. SWMBO will not be happy if I flood the backyard each time I brew.

(p.s. I tried the search function but came up cold)

BOG

let me do you a favour right now...

Buy a plate chiller. check out beerbelly, 30 plate chiller for $110 odd dollars, uses sweet FA water and knocks it down to pitching temps.

No leaks, no having to bend copper, no fittings, no hoses, so much smaller...

Please trust me on this :)

Chris.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&hl=chiller
Have a read of this BOG. Keep your options open on what type of chiller you want/need. If you can pump your pool water through the chiller it won't matter what type it is. You've already overcome the big issue for a lot of brewers, recycling your water. My first chiller was made of 8 mtrs of 1/2" copper, these days I use a plate chiller using water from the rainwater tank. :D

As long as you can reasonably get it and still fit it in the kettle. Can I suggest, though, that you don't use the mains water? It's a flat out waste of water, even if you recapture the water for cleaning. Use the pool water - get a decent size of pump (pond pump, whatever) and enough garden hose to run from your pool to the brewery and back. If you've already got a long hose and can borrow a mate's for brew day, that'll be fine. If your current garden hose could do it twice, just cut it in half, buy a joiner, and stick female garden hose disconnects on the cut ends, so you can use it on brew day, then put it back together for normal use. Stick male disconnects on the ends of the chiller, and you're away.

Yep the old lady will kill me if I use mains water.
I'm guessing it would take quite a bit of water to cool it down and she's into recycle in a big way.

During winter the cube on the pool step was fine as the pool was at 13deg , but now it's 26+ (Solar Heating) so it may not get down far enough.
I'd still be happy to drop it to that and then place the slightly ward fermenter in the brew fridge to drop it the rest of the way.

Re: the plate chiller. What happens with hop trub, break material etc. Does the plate chiller block up? Are they easy to clean?

BOG

If your kettle has a tap, just whirlpool at flameout. Give it a good stir - enough to get everything moving. I usually stir for around 90 seconds (don't splash), then let it settle while I hook up my chiller and get everything in order. By the time I open the tap, everything has settled into a cone in the middle of the kettle and clear wort comes out. If you do get some trub, don't worry as it won't clog your chiller. Leaf hops and orange peels (wits) are a different story. If you can find a small copper or SS pot scrubber, it will work quite well as a crude filter.

i use a immersion chiller and i run the outlet to a 50lt tub i have then i chuck it into the washing machine, it can sit there until your next load of washing without a hassle....... easy done.

Back in the days when water just came out of the tap forever, I would use about 400L with an immersion chiller and be thankful if I got the wort down to 30C. I now use about 150 litres of water and 4 litre of ice with a CFC feeding an icebox with a coil and I get my wort down to 14-18C depending if its an ale or lager.

Back in the days when water just came out of the tap forever, I would use about 400L with an immersion chiller and be thankful if I got the wort down to 30C. I now use about 150 litres of water and 4 litre of ice with a CFC feeding an icebox with a coil and I get my wort down to 14-18C depending if its an ale or lager.

Hey Tony M,

But how much water was used in the turbine to generate the steam that produced the power that you used to freeze the water?

:icon_cheers:

darren

I use an immersion chiller i made from 7m of 1/2 inch copper coiled around a cornie keg (to get it shaped)
It runs from a water tank through a pump, through the coil back to the water tank (no water loss)
Gets 35L wort down to 28C in around 30min

hope this helps

I dont have a pool :angry: or a water tank..............

No chill for me I guess...

I dont have a pool :angry: or a water tank..............

No chill for me I guess...

Or just grab the water from the washing machine an dump that in a plastic rubbish bin to use for chilling. Recirculate it through your chiller into the same bin or a second bin if you don't want the water in to the chiller to get too hot to quick. Then just save it for the next time or wash teh car with it, or water the garden with it, or...

I grabed plastic rubbish bins from the big green box shop for $10 each so you may be able to afford to get a couple.

I've managed to use the same batch of water for 4 different things. Washing clothes, chilling 2 batches of beer and one purifying water run.

Not too bad I reckon.

gary

My 2c;
- my immersion chiller was about 4m of 3/8 copper wrapped around anything handy; in my case a paint can. 3/8 was a crap size to use because of availability of fittings. I brazed 1/2 inch tails on the ends...

- I recycled my water into a plastic garbage bin, used I guess about 120L? I reused this nice hot water as my cleaning water but it was still wasteful

- I could get 20L of wort down to about 24 in about 20 minutes with the above water; BUT ONLY IF PERIODICALLY AGITATING THE CHILLER. If you just let it sit it's horribly inefficient and slow

- would have to spend as much water again to get down to about 20 deg so I never bothered. The pre-chiller is the way to go here. But I didn't bother with that as it's much more equipment and mess.

- recently ditched all this hassle to go to no-chill. Hey, if it takes 2 days to cool so what. :icon_cheers:

I've been no chilling for a while but as summer arrives it's becoming harder to get the wort down to pitching temp in a resonable time.
I've been putting the hot wort in a cube and placing it on the first step of the pool. While the pool was very cold it didn't take much time to get the temp down. Now that summer is on it's way it's takes considerably longer.

So I've been thinking I'll make a Wort Chiller Coil.

My question is how long should it be (meters) and how much water does it use to chill your wort to pitching temps?
I know it depends on the temp of the house water but roughly. SWMBO will not be happy if I flood the backyard each time I brew.

(p.s. I tried the search function but came up cold)

BOG

http://www.wortomatic.com/php/articles.php?ID=11

if your still keen on building one.
Used mine yesterday, without the whirlpool part (coming soon) chilled down to 21C in about 20min. I used cold bore water though.
Used this water for the veggie garden and cleaning.

- recently ditched all this hassle to go to no-chill. Hey, if it takes 2 days to cool so what. :icon_cheers:
same here. no chilled for the first time last weekend and love it.
its surprising how big a difference there is for me using an immersion chiller (basic copper coil) during winter and summer. this time of year it takes twice as long to chill to the same temp which means twice as much waste. had considered using my current coil as a pre chiller and buying a longer coil as my main chiller. that would still mean waiting for the wort to chill, using tap water to chill and buying more copper. now, no wasted water, time or money.
joe

Hey Tony M,

But how much water was used in the turbine to generate the steam that produced the power that you used to freeze the water?

:icon_cheers:

darren

Good question Darren, I know you're having a dig, but thought it was interesting to investigate anyway...

According to a study in the Australian Parliamentary Library: "Water requirements of nuclear power stations", a Natural Gas/oil combined-cycle power station with cooling towers uses 681 litres per MWh of power produced.

That's 681 millilitres per kWh. A fridge uses about 400kWh per year, so about 1.096 per day (which I guess is how long it took to freeze the ice).

That's 746ML of water to factor in to your chilling*
;)

*My maths might be wrong!

That's 746ML of water to factor in to your chilling*

Good sums Bugwan and dont forget that 746 ml water keeps a lot of other things cold too.
But seriously, to put this whole water thing into perspective, a kilolitre of water here costs 59cents so a 400L cool is going to cost you 24cents and its running back onto the vegies garden anyway and more than pays for itself in beans. How much did the hops for your last brew cost? probably anything up to ten bux!

Its not about the cost of water its about the fact that we are running out of it.

Latest posts

Back