Wort Aeration Equipment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and whats a stire plate worth *lots i guess*

should be able to make one with a roatating magnes\tic field under a plate??

bahh sounds like to much hard work

I was thinking about how to make one the other day. Was thinking a small motor with a magnet? Would it work ? don't know and will probably never try.
One thought though - wouldn't it be very succeptable to airborne spores/bacteria?

Yes, lots of $. I forget if they were $70, or $140.

I did see a suggestion on making one. Use an old cassette player, attach a magnet to the spindle, support the glass vessel above this, and use a stir bar covered in heat shrink tubing. Another project for sosman to have a go at.

sounds easy enough to make, however i find the airstone running on low gives a heap of O2 to the starter (the yeast has more than doubled since i started this) and keeps the liquid moving so not sure if there is much to gain? unless i have over seen somthing

Have never used a stir plate while making yeast, but it is supposed to stop the wee beasties flocculating out. Maybe the action of the yeast continually moving means they come into contact with nutrients more readily. Maybe it helps get rid of CO2 from the system too.

With your ss diffuser, do not use bleach to clean it.

Read about a bloke in the US, who left one overnight in bleach, it dissolved into a pile of ss dust.

As a side note, does anyone know if all this great airation with airstones effectively strips out the hop aroma compounds? Blasted the c@#p out of my pils last night and I got to thinking that while the yeast will love it the Saaz may get lifted out the airlock :eek:

Food for thought?

Here's by aeration setup - complete with blow off tube, in action following the weekend's brew.... You can see the aquarium pump on the MLT stand and the white disk which is the inline filter. The stone you can't see for obvious reasons.

A lot of the foam is a result of the air being pumped into it, but, as you can see by the colour of the tube and the jug, there was a fair bit of krausen/yeast in there too.

blow_off_03.jpg

that is some big krausen!

sure it is all caused by the air stone, but there could be no suggestions that you have not aerated sufficiently.

dreamboat

How much wort do you lose Goat? I kept turning mine off when it hit the roof.

I have the same foaming problems but solve it by spraying my 70%ethanol solution which breaks the foam down. You could probably do the same with preboiled water.

Jason, I didn't lose much at all, if any. The colour of the blow off liquid is more from the yeast than beer. I undershot my volume a fair bit so there was sufficient head space so it didn't blow too much. A couple of weeks previously I had to water down a bit and ended up with 30L in the fermenter.... no that was messy !

Well maybee I should have made that blow off tube :) todays effort (Doc's Saison) is climbing out! Ahh well it looks stable so I will leave it alone. :ph34r:

BEER_BENCH.jpg

I have never seen anything like that. Looks like you could put a flake in it and serve it for sweets.

Looks like head retention won't be an issue with this batch Jason!
Cheers,

TL

It eventually got out of hand and I was forced to intervene ... the texture was surprisinglt firm ... I am sure I could market it as a pavlova topping or something! :p

I reckon the flake would have stood up no worries!

JasonY,

How did the beer turn out ?
I've got another one in secondary atm that I used the WLP565 Saison yeast on.
What a difference that yeast makes over the WLP400 Wit yeast.

Yummmmmm

Doc

Latest posts

Back