Worst Comerical Beer You Had

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im a huge fan of the golden ale, but had it once and Im sure it was bad.. Could of being my taste buds for that day but doubt it.

Powers heavy used to smell like vomit I thought. That was about 20 years ago.

Damian.

I had a nasty pint of golden at the Mudaring Pub in WA.... smashed the glass and left

Joking

That beez neez doesnt sound like it would be that bad, honey beers are normally tasty, whats it like? Too sweet?
It tastes like a very ordinary beer that someone decided to make worse by making it taste like honey. It is a truly foul product.

Righto - flame suit on..... :ph34r:

I have really tried to like JS Golden Ale. Honestly. I've had it in stubbies, anywhere I can find it on tap I try it, but it's never been the amazing beer that gets talked up here.

Seriously, what are the characteristics that people enjoy so much?

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it - I just haven't enjoyed it as much as I expected to.

Kev

Righto - flame suit on..... :ph34r:

I have really tried to like JS Golden Ale. Honestly. I've had it in stubbies, anywhere I can find it on tap I try it, but it's never been the amazing beer that gets talked up here.

Seriously, what are the characteristics that people enjoy so much?

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it - I just haven't enjoyed it as much as I expected to.

Kev

Funny that, Quite often I/we venture to a local tavern with some very nice drops on tap including speckled hen, newcastle brown and JS Golden Ale. Everybody loves and talks about the speckled hen,........... alas the JS always gets a "it was ok" and nobody wants a second........ but noithing like the hen or the brown or the caffrey. Have only had it at this one establishment, fairness to JS Golden Ale.

have to agree with the beez neez. i thought it was supposed to be a great example of a micro beer when i had it about 12 months ago, bloody shite. wish i had a time machine to go back and order the hoegaarden i was goin to order!

Lobo

spelling

for me that would have to be the much loved LCPA

I bought a fresh bottle a couple of weeks ago as i do about twice a year.

I tell myself............. it must be nice......... everyone loves it.

It was pale as fosters light ice, thin slightly acrid and generally not a nice beer IMO.

Everyone knows im the APA Nazi on here and it was LCPA that did it to me, repeatedly.

Thanks to the case swap beers and their generally healthy contingent of APA's i have started to see the way.

Most of the home brewed APA's were 10 times the beer that this over rated swill is!

Ive even been inspired by home brewed APA's to have a go or 2 myself.

I have a cube of it waiting some US-05 hopped heavily with Ahtanum and Centennial.

cheers

Edit: you recon you will need a flame suit for JSGA :eek:

I guess I'll be the one to light the torch. Tony you naughty boy, how can you say such blasphemous things about LCPA. That beer got me right into brewing APA's and has pretty much been on tap since.

Mind you, I'll second Kevo's views on the JSGA being a little on the over rated side of things.

My vote for worst commercial beer would have to be either carlton cold or foster's, can't get to the bottom of either bottle. So I'll call it a draw.

Hello Tony,

You are not alone. I am no great fan of APA's either.
One LCPA is enough for me.

I much prefer English Ales and Belgians.

Regards

Graeme

Awww c'mon guys!

I mean I know that the breweries can have the odd bad batch but a little shocked at the bevvies getting a bad rap on some of the posts:

- Coopers Pale Ale - what the? This is a great beer! Admittedly not as fine as its big brother Coopers Sparkling but darn good nevertheless.
- James Squire Golden Ale - this is darn fine in my opinion. Very confused by some of the comments - maybe its because I've mainly drunk it at the Portland Hotel in Melbourne (The old James Squire Brewhouse) but never had a bad one.
- Little Creatures Pale Ale - Reckon there's a reason for the hype of this beer. Is darn good, made by talented brewers who are prepared to do something different and have created a groundswell of interest in the APA category.

Agree with the consensus on Tasman, Geelong Brewery Beer, Powers, XXXX Wheat, Fosters Light Ice and the like but can't agree on the 3 beauties above. Sorry!

Hopper.

Awww c'mon guys!

I mean I know that the breweries can have the odd bad batch but a little shocked at the bevvies getting a bad rap on some of the posts:

- Coopers Pale Ale - what the? This is a great beer! Admittedly not as fine as its big brother Coopers Sparkling but darn good nevertheless.
- James Squire Golden Ale - this is darn fine in my opinion. Very confused by some of the comments - maybe its because I've mainly drunk it at the Portland Hotel in Melbourne (The old James Squire Brewhouse) but never had a bad one.
- Little Creatures Pale Ale - Reckon there's a reason for the hype of this beer. Is darn good, made by talented brewers who are prepared to do something different and have created a groundswell of interest in the APA category.

Agree with the consensus on Tasman, Geelong Brewery Beer, Powers, XXXX Wheat, Fosters Light Ice and the like but can't agree on the 3 beauties above. Sorry!

Hopper.

I agree...

The above is pretty much my favourite beers... I think what most people were saying about the golden ale accept a few that thought it was over rated... Is that they have had either flat or bad batches. I agree I have had some shockers poured and from bottles. But when you get a good one 'YUM'. And Kevo the charactistics that make it such a great beer (for me) I think it's the tropical fruit aroma created by the Amarillo hops with just a touch of bitterness... Shame its only breakfast time.

May not be to your taste Tony, but the beer is certainly not thin (all malt and one of the highest AEs of any commercial beer around 5% abv) and with its particular malt bill, could not have a colour even remotely close to LiteIce.

Beez Neez is actually not bad on tap, I've found. Still a bit too much honey for my liking though.

The couple of times I've had it in bottles has been a dead-set horror story.

It was pale as fosters light ice, thin slightly acrid and generally not a nice beer IMO.

Everyone knows im the APA Nazi on here and it was LCPA that did it to me, repeatedly.

Thanks to the case swap beers and their generally healthy contingent of APA's i have started to see the way.

Most of the home brewed APA's were 10 times the beer that this over rated swill is!

I have a cube of it waiting some US-05 hopped heavily with Ahtanum and Centennial.

cheers

Talk about exaggeration, someones had a rough week.

I dunno, I'm not such a big LCPA fan. Stayed overnight in Bathurst a little while ago and at the Knickerbocker, they had Cascade APA on tap. I rated it as a much better APA than LCPA....

*Walks to the corner and dons flamesuit with others*

cheers

Ok Tony lie back on this couch and tell us all just when the bad APA started to torment you, do you think its the evil cascade hops or perhaps its the willamette or the amarillo. we are here to help. :D

I dunno, I'm not such a big LCPA fan. Stayed overnight in Bathurst a little while ago and at the Knickerbocker, they had Cascade APA on tap. I rated it as a much better APA than LCPA....

*Walks to the corner and dons flamesuit with others*

Do Cascade even make an APA?

Latest posts

Back