Worst Comerical Beer You Had

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Venezualan Polar Ice was the worst I ever had. My girlfriend also remembers that it tasted like 'cat's piss'.

There have been a few which I have successfully forgotten, but recently a couple of mates thought it would be a good idea to buy some 'cheap beers' from a large beer retailer in the area...all of them bad but the worst was by far the Tui.
Supposedly an IPA?!?!
It said 'East Indian Pale Ale' or something like that, so I can only assume in they do things much differently in the East...maybe fill the bottles from a tributary of the Ganges?

Locally, I have tried to like the Byron Bay Premium Ale but now my guts churn when I think of the last mouthfull!
Enough whinging...time for some golden ale

Historically.. who can remember Toohey's Country special, and Toohey's Classic, death in a bottle, indescribable in a can... Anything with Swan on the lable, Toohey's 2.2, that XXXX dry crapola they bought out.... all were :icon_vomit:

More recently Carlton Cold is just wrong on so many levels, when in Asia, avoid Singha, and anything in India that comes in a green bottle (I don't remember the brand, but the bottle was green) and four Star in China

Locally.. It hurts to say this from a locals point of view, but Bluetongue, get a grip Dudes and turn out something that a true Novocastrian woud be proud of FFS!

Historically.. who can remember Toohey's Country special, and Toohey's Classic, death in a bottle, indescribable in a can... Anything with Swan on the lable, Toohey's 2.2, that XXXX dry crapola they bought out.... all were :icon_vomit:

More recently Carlton Cold is just wrong on so many levels, when in Asia, avoid Singha, and anything in India that comes in a green bottle (I don't remember the brand, but the bottle was green) and four Star in China

Locally.. It hurts to say this from a locals point of view, but Bluetongue, get a grip Dudes and turn out something that a true Novocastrian woud be proud of FFS!

Yes, had a Bluetongue on tap today...'twas shit. It's alot worse than I remember it being 3 years ago, or maybe my 'beer bud's have just kicked in meanwhile.

Folks

I don't like to speak ill of a microbrewed beer but I got a 6 pack of Chopper Heavy as part of a tasting pack. Yea gods that stuff is awful. Taks an ordinary (very ordinary) megaswill lager. Bump it up to 6%. Don't add any extra hops. remove any malt character. Add a nasty cidery taste (guess they hit that 6% with sugar rather than malt). Stick Choppers face on the label as a gimick.

I gave the other 5 bottles to my brother in law. He drinks carlton cold. Should be just right for him.

Cheers
Dave

+1 on the Chopper Heavy. Tried it at the 'Chopper Stand' at the International Beer Awards down here in Melb a couple of years back. The blandness was overwhelming, and over sugared to the max. Uncle Chop-Chop shouldn't be lending his name to such a brew. Horrid. Only beer I tipped out at the show.

For those that can think back far enough I'd also like to add dishonorable mentions to three of CUB's mutant beer experiments gone wrong - Diamond Draft and Carlton LJ (both low calorie beers made pre-pure blonde), oh and while I'm dissing CUB experiments, throw in that Empire beer of a couple of years back too. Think there's good reason none of those three are on the market anymore. All fancy label and no substance in the bottle.

Hopper.

Dig,

You are one disgusting bugger.

My vote for bad beer is the new range of raddler or lime infusion beers. Refreshing yes, beer they are NOT. If beer was supposed to taste like a citrus tree it would. Beer is supposed to be malty and bitter. If you don't like these things then beer is not for you. Go back to drinking Lemon, Lime and Bitters at the gay bar.

Now that I have that off my chest I feel so much better.

Thank you all.

Have to second that motion - Radler = Shite

Ordered a Monteith's Radler on a visit to NZ and normally a fan of Monteiths, had never drunk a Radler (thought it was some new type of kiwi lager - and Mornteiths Original and Black are great) but after trying this thing I vowed - NEVER AGAIN!
Pushing paperclips into my eyeballs would be more pleasureable than guzzling that slop.

Hopper.

Haven't tried the local radlers (and have no plans to), but I think the only radler worth having would be a real one in a stein in Octoberfest..... drunk by SWMBO. :icon_chickcheers:

I have a few stubbies of Hollanda (sp?) in the fridge as an example of how horrible a beer can get. This beer is no great shakes at best but put on a ship for a few months then expose it to temperature extremes and light for a long time and this is it. Rancid- catty/skunked, plenty of cardboard but bugger all body, very evident alcohol hot finish - just :icon_vomit:

Im gonna say corona, light struck and no body drinks it without a bit of lemon or lime
stand alone NO GOOD

Emu something or other. WA
Coopers Pale Ale . SA
Carlton Draught. VIC
Victorian Beer. QLD
Boags Draught. TAS
Tooheys Black Label Dry. NSW
Victorian Beer. NT

MY GOOD/BEST BEERS

Creatures. WA
Pepperjack. SA
Grand Ridge. and mine of course. VIC
Searching. TAS
Searching. NT
James Squire.NSW
XXXX Gold :). QLD

haysie, not rating coopers but you are rating xxxx, am i reading correctly? anyone else rate xxxx over cpa on this site?

Lobo

haysie, not rating coopers but you are rating xxxx, am i reading correctly? anyone else rate xxxx over cpa on this site?

Lobo

Big negetive to that

Lobo

LOBO, just havent yet had a good qld beer besides my preferred swill xxxx gold, am sure there are many out there that DONT grace our bottle shops. Coopers, have not been lucky enough too drink from tap, all the times i have bought it, it was skunked flat lifeless diesel, thats what i know about coopers.

Four xxxx bitter isn't so bad. I don't think coopers is too bad either. The worst beer I ever had was in Wales. I was living in Ireland at the time and was loving the local fair. I had also lived in England for some time and was just used to ordering a bitter......well I ordered one in Wales and it tasted like puke, and that is being kind. It was one of the few beers in my life I could not drink.

Fosters, terrible stuff.

Also tried out that Ottinger Pils lately as it was on special, definatley not my taste at all.

You guys should come to NZ and see how many excessively crap beers we have...

Monteiths has made it across the ditch it seems, and they would be our best "commercial" brewery in my opinion...

It also seems Tui has made it across the ditch? You poor bastards! Allthough, in saying that, its a shiteload better than export gold, Lion ice, waikato draught, lion red, and DB... Oh, did I mention Double Brown :eek:

Seriously crap beers, even our Heineken tastes worse than yours! <_<

Only NZ beers I buy would be from craft brewers, albeit pricy, thus why I brew my own :)

And Monteiths radler was brought out to appeal to non beer drinkers, and it works... So really, if it gets someone who didnt drink beer before to start drinking beer, is it all that bad?

You guys should come to NZ and see how many excessively crap beers we have...

Monteiths has made it across the ditch it seems, and they would be our best "commercial" brewery in my opinion...

It also seems Tui has made it across the ditch? You poor bastards! Allthough, in saying that, its a shiteload better than export gold, Lion ice, waikato draught, lion red, and DB... Oh, did I mention Double Brown :eek:

Seriously crap beers, even our Heineken tastes worse than yours! <_<

Only NZ beers I buy would be from craft brewers, albeit pricy, thus why I brew my own :)

And Monteiths radler was brought out to appeal to non beer drinkers, and it works...

Yeah, you're probably right about Monteiths Radler not being targeted at serious beer drinkers like us. Don't think any Radler would be - it's no doubt tackling the 'young things who like alco-fizzy pop' sector and getting them to try something different to a can of vodka & orange.

Kiwi Beers I rate highly:
Emersons. Bloody amazing beer from Dunedin. Incredible stuff, but darn hard to find in bottle shops in oz and expensive (think its around $8 for a 500ml bottle here :angry:). Try the wheat beer if you get the chance - an amazing replication of a Hefeweizen. Others in the range are darn good too.
Mac's. Up there with Monteiths, really liked this stuff. Some were incredibly hoppy (some of the Monteiths are too) but grew on me. There will be some who don't like either Monteiths or Macs due to the big hop flavours, but I found them very different to anything Australia (Mass produced/Micro or otherwise) are producing.

Kiwi Beers with a question mark:
Tui- All the other posters on this one have nailed it. Quite Average.
Export Gold - Mass produced dishwater.

Haven't tried those other ones but have heard that DB is dodgy.

Hopper.

It has to be that MVP brand from Aldi.

I nearly spewed when I saw 4 slabs in some blokes trolley.

johnno

LOBO, just havent yet had a good qld beer besides my preferred swill xxxx gold, am sure there are many out there that DONT grace our bottle shops. Coopers, have not been lucky enough too drink from tap, all the times i have bought it, it was skunked flat lifeless diesel, thats what i know about coopers.

wow...just wow.... I have never heard Coopers described like this. Yes it is something special off tap (Dark Ale/Stout at this time of year is heaven in a glass) but even in a bottle Coopers is still an exceptional beer range.

Maybe it doesn't travel well?

The only thing they do that I don't like is Dr Tim's in a can.

Yeah, you're probably right about Monteiths Radler not being targeted at serious beer drinkers like us. Don't think any Radler would be - it's no doubt tackling the 'young things who like alco-fizzy pop' sector and getting them to try something different to a can of vodka & orange.

Kiwi Beers I rate highly:
Emersons. Bloody amazing beer from Dunedin. Incredible stuff, but darn hard to find in bottle shops in oz and expensive (think its around $8 for a 500ml bottle here :angry: ). Try the wheat beer if you get the chance - an amazing replication of a Hefeweizen. Others in the range are darn good too.
Mac's. Up there with Monteiths, really liked this stuff. Some were incredibly hoppy (some of the Monteiths are too) but grew on me. There will be some who don't like either Monteiths or Macs due to the big hop flavours, but I found them very different to anything Australia (Mass produced/Micro or otherwise) are producing.

Kiwi Beers with a question mark:
Tui- All the other posters on this one have nailed it. Quite Average.
Export Gold - Mass produced dishwater.

Haven't tried those other ones but have heard that DB is dodgy.

Hopper.

Emersons is a fantastic brewery, one of the best in NZ easily! But its even pricy over here $6NZD for a 500 ml bottle, but the stuff ive been drinking lately, Emersons Book Binder Bitter, comes in a 1.25 litre bottle for $9NZD and tastes fantastic! I havent tried the hefeweizen one yet, but ill be sure to try that next...

Macs and Monteiths are great examples of commercial breweries, but they lack what Emersons and other craft brewers can offer...

Latest posts

Back