Working Out Suspected Og When Using Honey?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Belly

Head Brewer - Barley Belly Brewery
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of making a brew using a Kit plus 1kg of honey.

How do I workout the suspected OG using the Brewcraft calculator if I use 1kg of honey????

it will be around 1040 mate. this is assuming your using the 1.7kg tins

Honey is approximately 80% sugar, so just put 800g of sugar in for the calculator.

Honey has 1.36 kg/l density, which is the same for liquid malt extract, so for OG purposes, enter the honey as 1kg LME in the calculator.

For fg purposes, though, the fermentables that are in the honey are glucose and fructose, so enter it as a simple sugar at a weight of 800g.

Typical honey analysis regarding its sugar components can be found HERE

edit..beaten to the post. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys

Honey is approximately 80% sugar, so just put 800g of sugar in for the calculator.

So I guess it would be better not to add much LDME (if any) as it would be to sweet????
The other 20% of the honey stays as body?????

No, not at all. The other 20% is mainly water, with a couple of other unfermentable things in there. (ash and stuff :unsure: )
As I said, the 80% of the honey that is fermentable is fructose and glucose, which is 100% fermentable. There is a little maltose, but were only talking a couple of percent.
Honey will ferment about the same degree as invert sugar, the breakdown of fermentable sugar in it, whilst different, is not entirely dissimilar.

Latest posts

Back