WLP001 temp spike

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mat B

Reaction score
Helloooo,
I've got a pale ale fermenting with WLP001 right now in my fermenting fridge. I pitched and put it in at about 10:30 last night. I accidentally had the temp controller set to 77℃!! I checked at 7am and it was fermenting like mad at 27℃. I hear with a heat pad in there (not touching fermented). I'm guessing it would have taken a fair few hours to get to that temp, so maybe fermented hot for 5 it 6 hours. Does anyone have any thoughts on what kind of impact this might have had? I immediately set it to 17.5 so it will have cooled quickly. Hope I haven't spoiled it with off flavours.

What's done is done. Cooling it back down quickly would have probably shocked the yeast, so you may end up with a stuck (or at least paused) fermentation on top of your existing problems.

About the only thing you can do now is to let it finish and taste as you go. If you are not entirely happy, don't ditch it. Keg and condition for a while and see if it improves with age.

Learning experience. ;)

I was worried about shocking the yeast too, but it's still going gang-busters so all seems good. I'll update back here is a few weeks after some tasting.

Back