Wizard Smith

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjp

Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw it out there. Anyone got any ideas on a boags wizard smith clone in extact? I can taste/feel/smell the EK Goldings but theres a spiceyness I'm not sure of.What do you think? Any of the AG guys managed one I can try and copy or convert to extract? I hav'nt been to Tasmania for a while and love this stuff every time I go there.

There is certainly EK Golding in it.... well when I did the Boags Brewery Tour last year the brewery guide told me. What I am going to do next time i brew a lager quaffer is use 75% EKG and 25% POR to see if I can get that POR woody-herby tang .... that may blend well to get the spiceness you have talked about.

On a similar Wizard Smith (WS) topic ... They say the most closely guarded secret in brewing Boags Preminium and WS is the lager yeast strain used ........ I am wondering if it is possible to cultivate the Boags yeast by filling a starter bottle with beer from the bottle and add some dextrose or spray malt.... or am I dreamin????

5 eyes

On a similar Wizard Smith (WS) topic ... They say the most closely guarded secret in brewing Boags Preminium and WS is the lager yeast strain used ........ I am wondering if it is possible to cultivate the Boags yeast by filling a starter bottle with beer from the bottle and add some dextrose or spray malt.... or am I dreamin????

Dreaming, it's not bottle conditioned. Filtered to sterile I believe before bright tank. I think they have a bottle pasteuriser on their bottling line as well, so whatever is in the bottle is well and truly dead.

Marketing would have you believe it's different (got to have have some "secret" besides a clever marketing campaign) but i'd say it's probably pretty similar to w34/70 or Carlsberg (Wyeast 2042) as is most aussie lager.

Well, it's not a lager but an English ale. I am no expert on this style (but fast wanting to become one!) but this is maybe a Pale Ale or ESB... There's a lovely toffee/raisin note in the malt profile and lovely floral EKG aromatics. Would love to have a crack at this one myself at some stage, but haven't got the skills just yet.

A funny fact though, Cascade Pale Ale is a lager!! :p

Dreaming, it's not bottle conditioned. Filtered to sterile I believe before bright tank. I think they have a bottle pasteuriser on their bottling line as well, so whatever is in the bottle is well and truly dead.

Marketing would have you believe it's different (got to have have some "secret" besides a clever marketing campaign) but i'd say it's probably pretty similar to w34/70 or Carlsberg (Wyeast 2042) as is most aussie lager.

Tell you the truth ... i was not paying too much attention at the bottling room as my sons was playing up and whingeing at the time... i thought the bottles were treated and filled rather than filled and pasteurised ...but anyway I am hoping someone out there can remember this brewery experience and confirm... otherwise anyone out there who can test for yeast DNA ?????? he he he

5 "sad" eyes

Maybe next time I go down to lawnie for a holiday i'll rumage around the garbage bins out the back of the brewery see if there are any empty Wyeast smackpacks !!!!!!

Please do! I want something like this. It has to be my all time favorite commercial brew.

Back