Wit Style Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rclemmett

Reaction score
I just started my mash for my aniseed star, tangerine peel and cassia bark wit, and was thinking. I have to stop doing that. Last time I made it I boiled the aniseed and tangerine peel for an hour.............. Would it be better to add the tangerine peel later, say ten minutes? Also the tangerine peel I'm using is dried.

Bit late I know, any input welcome.

I normally add the peel in the last 5mins of the boil and the spice at flameout. Though the whole spice thing is pretty variable at the end of the day. Have fun with it.

cheers

grant

I think half an hour is the go for peel, 20 or so if its fresh. There was a thread floating around the other day on wits...check around and see if you can find it. If not, I will and then go post back here :D

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: Here we go...the thread you want is here.

I would assume that you'd get the aromatics of the ingrediants across more, the less they are boiled. Just like cooking - fresh herbs at the end make a pasta - some with hops etc. Therefore, I would add them as late as possible and dry hop the fermentor / keg as well.

Just my 2c.

Cheers - Mike

BTW - if you boiled tangarine peel for long, it would go bitter?

Cheers for the quick replies.

I think I'll go peel at half hour and aniseed at ten minutes.

Back