Williamswarn Personal Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah pretty sure they are on website. Not sure if you can get it in Australia though

doon said:
The thing that puzzles me is that they are putting water into the brew after they put through clearing agent. Is this not asking for an infection? ?
Not being an expert on brewing, the WW takes about 30 minutes to rinse, wash and sanitize. After this process is completed you add your wort (in my case still tinkering with K&K). Then put the lid on set temp and pressure, followed by daily monitoring. As I mentioned, I am not an expert in brewing but I fail to see how this process could introduce/leave room for infection. I stand to be corrected.

I would like to know if using a BM is it possible to put in boiling, or nearing boling wort, chuck the lid on set to say 23oC, wait to cool and then add the yeast? For K&K I can set the temp when it is a few degrees under or over strike temp. This process takes on 5-10 min. Boiling wort is a whole different kettle of fish though.

Elz said:
Not being an expert on brewing, the WW takes about 30 minutes to rinse, wash and sanitize. After this process is completed you add your wort (in my case still tinkering with K&K). Then put the lid on set temp and pressure, followed by daily monitoring. As I mentioned, I am not an expert in brewing but I fail to see how this process could introduce/leave room for infection. I stand to be corrected.
I think doon was referring to the part where he flushed the clearing agent with a bottle of water and then stated that he let it run into the brew.....it would be fine if the water is sterile but not too good if it was from dubious sources.

Talking about in the video he flushes the clearing agent port with water which then gets flushed into beer. Not a concern if water has been boiled etc

Just watched that vid, holy mother of Zues that things flash.

It's your hobby, who cares what it costs, and TBH your probably saving more money and a less stuffing around then the rest or us actually are. It costs a lot less then all my hobbies.

Answers to a couple questions
  • Winequip in Melbourne stock the tins of Concentrate.
  • I'm led to believe that they are just Black Rock "rebadged"
  • My original attachment answered the question about how hot the fresh wort can be. Ian Williams indicated 140C or less
Cheers

Wobbly

Just watched the vid. I have found that second clarification is generally not needed and I will normally drink the beer after day 5. I am not too pedantic when it come to clear beer, love coopers sparkling etc. The only issue I have found is that the sediment bottle for the stronger ales I have been brewing, around 6 % does not collect all the sediment ( for beers of < 5% probably not an issue). In the past I have 'wasted' 500 ml of beer. Now I just pull beer through the draft tap until it runs clear. Now only Wasting only 200 ml +\-.

I reckon Infection is less likely to occur in a CO2 environment, therefore having boiled water prolly less of an issue (again just guessing)

I wonder if he will ever consider adding a grain mashing system to the unit. That could make it pretty damn special.

manticle said:
I wonder if he will ever consider adding a grain mashing system to the unit. That could make it pretty damn special.
And more expensive :p

No doubt. Way beyond the reach of my wallet and not my style of brewing but impressive nonetheless, esp if it were to enable you to make the wort.

For that outlay I might as well buy beer.

Cost me 146.76 for 24 bottles of beer. I realised that only 4 stubbies are local, the rest are imported 'fancy' beer.

It's barely 6 bucks averaged per bottle and I've got 2 bottles of gueze, 3 saisons, some hopfen weisse, lots of other tasty stuff. Someone willing to spend that much on a beer fermenter/server needs their head checked anb their money taken away. Congratulations Ian Warn for fulfilling the latter. I'd be less than happy but for the right money I'll come do the first.

Wine quip has the concentrate and the sugars to go with.
The manual has a stack of recipes and styles to try.
The only issue has been wine quip seem to be very slow in respondingto orders for the kits.

I dont own one but have met people who do. They had to go to the lhbs to make up some recipes.

As with any new product the first people to adopt such technologies will normally pay a premium. In 5 years time when either the WW or the clone equivalents are retailing for substantially less and are used by the everyday home brewer then the early adopters may be vindicated. Or I could be pissing in the wind and the whole personal brewing issues may just be a passing fad.

Elz said:
In 5 years time when either the WW or the clone equivalents are retailing for substantially less and are used by the everyday home brewer
Which everyday home brewers are these?

The kit and kilo, cheap grog crowd?

Or the serious brewer that wants to produce world class beer?

This device seems too elaborate for the former, and too restrictive for the latter. If it has a market, it is commercial breweries that need a small scale prototype brewery that employs the same speed tricks as the big rig. Or POSSIBLY a restaurant that wants to boast its own brewery on premises, but really just wants to dump and stir.

Oh, and people that don't really know how to brew but think owning something shiny with a beer tap coming out of it will impress people.

If its about the beer, you can drink world class brews for a lot less money. If it's about the brewing, well, is pushing a button on someone else's system really brewing?

On the side of the WW brewers, why couldn't they make great beer with fresh worts from CB or whoever. They may not be fukin around crushing, mixing, and watching a timer like us, but a lot of busy people don't have time for that.

I would like to taste a woollies kit beer brewed through this thing and see if there is a difference

WortGames said:
If it's about the brewing, well, is pushing a button on someone else's system really brewing?
I would say, technically, Yes.

shaunous said:
On the side of the WW brewers, why couldn't they make great beer with fresh worts from CB or whoever
Oh they can. For 5 years they can produce a slab a week of somebody else's craft brew for about $12,500. Say $15k with incidentals, sanitiser, power etc.

Edit: $58 a slab. Too late in the day for accurate maths.

How much is this fukin thing, I didn't see a price posted, but I didn't think it would be that much.

It is about the beer. And please note that I don't give rats either way if this way of brewing takes off or not. However, I reckon that this type of device will find a market once the price point is geared more towards what the average home brewer can afford. Home brewers from my reading get into the craft for a number of reasons which includes price and quality. The WW, I believe does produce a quality product and can ferment a wide range of styles, but it is overpriced. As you point out it probably will not meet the needs of the brewers at the poles, but for many people in between it is likely to make a good adjunct to the brewing process (again subject to price). I also see as you pointed out some restaurants and cafés using a WW to market a house beer. Anything that promotes more home brew is good in my books

Again, who is this 'average' home brewer? I'd say the vast majority of home brewers fall into the two categories I outlined above. The single largest group would have to be the k-mart kit and kilo krowd. They aren't connoisseurs, they just resent paying VB prices. Many of these guys won't even pay for brew booster or new crown seals, let alone thousands (or even hundreds) of dollars on equipment.

The next group are the guys on this forum, guys who take it all a bit more seriously and enjoy the hands-on processes. We are something like chefs, and we're not in a hurry to do the brewing equivalent of buying an 'Emily's kitchen' vac-packed meal and sticking it in a posh microwave.

I'd be very interested to hear from any pre-existing home brewer who has bought one of these, and what their motivation was. It seems at the moment like it appeals to wealthy people who like the 'idea' of brewing, but can't be bothered with all the learning and hands-on stuff.

Latest posts

Back