Will My Beer Go Off?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SerLung

Reaction score
Hey gurus!

As I was brewing, I realized I didn't have a scale, so I chose to use a measure that I would be able to replicate should I want to. I used a schooner glass :)

2 batches currently in fermentation

1) called it a "james boags dark"
Tin - margins blue mountain larger
Booster blend (mix of dextrose and maltodexrin)
2 schooners of dextrose
1 schooner of dark malt.
Pride of ringwood hops
Yeast from the tin.

2) "becks style"
Thomas coopers selection - pilsner
Booster blend (mix of dextrose and maltodexrin)
Tettnanger hops
(the brew cellar guide said to add another 200g of dextrose, but I forgot)

I put both of these in the fermenters on 13th July. 3 days ago, it was still bubbling out of the air lock. I took my first reading ~1020, just took my second reading and it was ~1013. Both of the brews much the same reading.

So my question/comment is - these are still fermenting right?

The longest I've ever had beer in the fermenter is 2 weeks, I'm concerned that there is a chance that the beer might go off. Should I bottle it now? Or keep checking the hydrometer and bottle when I've had steady readings?

Can it go off?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Btw - if there is anything in this post that I mention which seems obviously wrong, I'd love to hear it.....

Probably still fermenting although airlock bubbling means little.

Your beer will not only be fine with a few weeks on the yeast, but it will probably be better. You can get off flavours from leaving beer on primary yeast for too long but you really need to leave ir for a good dose of time (ie. longer than that). You can also get off flavours bottling too early (not to mention bottle bombs) and that is more likely the mistake new brewers will make.

Let you beer finish (expected final gravity for 3+ days not just any gravity for 3+ days), then let it sit another 3-5 days and either bottle or stick the batch in a fridge for another 3-5 days. Clearer, better tasting beer will be the result.

Latest posts

Back