Will a 3 ring burner boil 45l with standard reg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickcr250

Reaction score
So I've been doing single 22l batch's for a wile with my 50l pot and 3 ring burner and I was thinking of trying to fill a 20l cube and a 15l which will put my pre boil around 45l. Has any one had experience boiling this volume in a 50l pot with a 3 ring burner? I figure it might take a wile but its gotta boil eventually right? And will the boil off be similar to what I get with a standard batch?

Hi Mick

I suspect you won't have any problems getting it to the boil. Even though I have a 60 litre stock pot, a 4 ring burner and an adjustable regulator (which might have been $95 from BOC gases), I now don't even use the outside ring, and very very rarely the innermost ring; and the adjustable LPG regulator is turned way down. I usually do 52 litre boils after mashing, so I can't see it being a problem for you.

Cheers, Phil

Sweet that's what I wanted to hear. Has anyone done it with a 3 ring and standard reg and know how long it takes to get from 70c ish to boil ?

I was struggling to get a decent boil on a 3 ring with a standard reg and 25L
And even when it was boiling, it took forever to get there
Go grab an adjustable reg, you won't regret it
This is the one I use
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adjustable-1-2-PT-Thread-1-Outlet-Liquefied-LGP-Gas-Metallic-Regulator-Dark-Blue-/301227286588?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Industrial_Supply_MRO&hash=item46228ba03c&_uhb=1

But if you'd rather buy an Aussie one, I'd go with this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ADJUSTABLE-REGULATOR-HOSE-1200mm-long-BOOST-YOUR-HEAT-OUTPUT-/121374253865?pt=AU_Outdoor_Living_BBQs_Cookware&hash=item1c42782329&_uhb=1

Hmmm I might have to get one, does the one from Hong Kong need a new line as well? It looks like it has a barb fitting

Yeah, I removed the barb and grabbed a line from BCF
Took a good bit of effort with a deep socket and a breaker bar, though

Mate, I reckon you'll struggle. I get my 50L keggle with 30L in at a rolling boil with all 4 rings burning with a standard reg and maintain it with just #2 and #3 once it's there (I've got a stand with a heatshield built around it) but it's only just rolling once it's at that stage. Considering you're boiling 50% more wort with just one more ring, it might be a stretch.

You'll need some more humph than a 3 ring doing a double batch. I use that and an over the side electric element.

Mate I do it all the time. So days it takes longer though, the trick is to get the mash onto the flame as quick as you can, if put the lid half on it'll help if it taking a while. But yeah no problems.

With these burners (talking about the valve end of the things) you need a decent gap between the plate thingies and the cast pipe bit, i.e. don't screw the plate bits all the way in.

They rely on sucking in a fair bit of air. If you have these in all the way you get a horrible burn (very sooty, orange flame) which isn't particularly hot. Make sure you wind these back towards the valves to get a gap between the plate and the cast pipe to get a nice blue flame.

Yep I've got the air valves wound right out adr . I'm thinking its probably worth going for the high pressure reg and I might go for the Aussie one since its just up the road and comes with the line as well thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it

I've also got a 3 ring burner with a std reg and use a 50 litre keggle. For a double batch (45L) I get a good boil but it does take a while to get there. I'll probably look at getting an adjustable reg sometime.

I did lots of 45litre boils in a keggle with a 3 ring and standard reg. As has been said, fire it up as soon as the bottoms covered.

A good trick is to have a shield around the bottom of your boiler and the burner, This helps stop a lot of heat loss

Hmmm OK maybe I will give it a crack. At the end of the day its still gotta be quicker than doing two brews. Do you find there is much difference in boil off between @a single and double batch? I would have thought it would be slightly less since you would have a less vigorous boil

Also, just lately I've drilled out the nozzles around the rings just a little bigger than they already were
I've noticed a bit less flame lift off when I'm running at higher gas pressure

Steve said:
You'll need some more humph than a 3 ring doing a double batch. I use that and an over the side electric element.
Same.

But once I'm up to temp I use the OTS element only. It's a big bugger though.

Back