Wild Beers

• Thread starter bindi
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bindi, a suggestion from me.

You could bottle some in PET bottles and use OzTops to release the excess pressure as it builds.
You might need to disturb the yeast in the bottom of the keg before dispensing into the PET bottles though.

Worth a second thought?
Les

Thanks for the advice, may try that.
Update: Nothing has changed much in taste and smell, it will now run its course as I nave no fridge/freezer space to crash chill it, but 2 kegs about to 'blow' will give me space soon.
At what temp does Brett [I am guessing he has found a home here] stop working? The bottle of yeast cake [whatever it is] is gassing up in the fridge at 4c.

If you havent read it already id suggest wildbrews Sparrow (Link). Brews that rely on wild yeast/bacteria tend to sour over time, so you might have to blend it with a newer beer if it heads down that road.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you havent read it already id suggest wildbrews Sparrow (Link). Brews that rely on wild yeast/bacteria tend to sour over time, so you might have to blend it with a newer beer if it heads down that road.

Yep, had for ages as well as Brew like a monk, that is what inspired me to try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice, may try that.
Update: Nothing has changed much in taste and smell, it will now run its course as I nave no fridge/freezer space to crash chill it, but 2 kegs about to 'blow' will give me space soon.
At what temp does Brett [I am guessing he has found a home here] stop working? The bottle of yeast cake [whatever it is] is gassing up in the fridge at 4c.

According to Jess Caudill's presentation at ANHC, brett keeps working at these temperatures, albeit slowly. I'm not sure how cold you need to go to stop it altogether.

I was fortunate enough to be at Bindi's yesterday and try this wild beer. Wow!
Served straight from the keg, prob around 20C.
Presents with a nice fluffy white head. Very complex aroma with a nice sour note. Flavours were just as complex and the sourness carried through. Finishes dry and tart with plenty of spice. Suprisingly drinkable and refreshing for a strong beer.

This is a great beer. Make sure you let us know how it develops

Kabooby :)

OK brewers who tried my "Wild Beer" last night, Screwtop, Kabooby, your mate Chris, jayandcath and Humpy dad are you still all well and not laid up in bed/hospital? :p :lol: .
What a brave bunch of brewers, willing to drink warm wild beer from a keg still fermenting ever so slowly in the said keg .

Still alive and well. Even topped it off last night with an Indian curry :eek:

Kabooby ;)

OK brewers who tried my "Wild Beer" last night, Screwtop, Kabooby, your mate Chris, jayandcath and Humpy dad are you still all well and not laid up in bed/hospital? :p :lol: .
What a brave bunch of brewers, willing to drink warm wild beer from a keg still fermenting ever so slowly in the said keg .

Where are the pictures of Kabooby at Bindis place?

Pumpy :)

Fruit provides a simple way of making a wildish brew that is not quite as hit-and-miss as complete spontaneous fermentation. IOW, get a starter happening off some grape or apple skins, then innoculate the main brew. Another advantage to the starter is that the combination of alcohol and acidity will knock out some of the common moulds and aerobic bugs before they have had a chance to contribute a significant level of byproducts. Play around with both aerobic and anaerobic ferments. Expect high ester levels and low terminal gravities.

on the topic of wild brews, can you actually get sick from them??? like very ill or just a stomach ache?

The general consensus that ive heard is that if a beer really is bad enough to make you sick, it probably wont make it past your nose, let alone your lips ;)

I had 'made' a beer at the Beer Factory place 6 months ago, each person in my family that drunk it developed a disgusting cough, where you'd wake up first thing in the morning unable to breathe until you spewed. This went on all day at various times, mostly first thing in the morning. It lasted for months, the only thing we shared in common was we had this beer. It was the worst feeling in my life, I thought I was dying every single day. We only had two or three stubbies of this crap at the most as well.

since that day, never EVER going to one of them dodgy knock-up-brew shops.

How's this beer going Bindi? Any left?

Kabooby :)

Latest posts

Back