Why? Yeasties

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achy02

Reaction score
Hi all,
I had a funny thing happen on the w/e. I recently brewed a Coopers Sparkling Ale and bottled it mainly in glass stubbies. It was a standard K and K brew with US05 yeast. After a couple of weeks in the bottle I took a heap camping with some mates and found that all had a 'yeast plug' just under the lid. It was very off putting as you had to scoop out the yeasties to get to the good stuff. The beers were stored upright and then chilled and kept in an esky with ice. They were upright for the whole time so I am puzzled as to how the yeast made its way to the top. Has anyone else experienced this?
cheers
aches

This happened to me with a kit ginger beer I did a month ago. It was only the last two bottles I filled though and I think it was caused by me disturbing the yeast cake trying to extract every last drop from the fermenter. Those two bottles tasted significantly better than the ones without the yeast at the top...... Who would have thunk it.

Sounds a bit unusual indeed.
I have found that the yeast drops out to the bottom usually... (assuming bottle is stored upright).
2c.

I think it is because it got jiggled in transport.
Next time, try chucking some gelatine in the 2ndary to get the yeast to be a little heavier.

This has never happened to me with my bottle conditioned beers and ive driven with them down the line has them shaken up and everything and it all settles in about an hour or so in the fridge... I never gelatine if im bottling either..

I had it in a six pack of Coopers Sparkling Ale recently. I licked out the yeast before pouring :icon_drool2:
Cheers
Steve

+1 on having it happen to me because I tipped the fermenter to get at every last drop. Only really 'fouled' one bottle, which was quite drinkable anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers - boingk

Thanks for the replies. I will give the remaining stubbies a bit more time before consumption and maybe invert them before chilling.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back