Why Don't You Like Amarillo?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbowers

Reaction score
So I'm drinking a fantastic IPA with a small amount of amarillo in the bill. It reminds me of this flavour I didn't like in one of my own APA's that I am now thinking is part of the flavour profile of Amarillo.

I've read here that a few experienced brewers of hoppy beers don't like amarillo - basically wondering what you don't like about it? I thought I screwed up somewhere in my brewing of it but its looking like thats just how amarillo tastes.

Smells like Rexona deodorant, which is great if you want your beer to taste like armpits.

It's easy to over do the Amarillo thing. There was a time when it seemed every second beer I made had it in it, and I quickly tired of the taste...same thing happened with Cascade.
But having said that, I've had many beers recently that have used it, almost exclusively too, and have been really nice. I think I tend to have quarms with it when it's used as a dry hop, and in extreme doses...tends to give a grassy, vegetal, pea pod sort of aroma, like in many Sav. Blanc wines, which I also take a disliking to because of that character.

I love amarillo, use it in equal parts with cascade in my APA.

Smells like Rexona deodorant, which is great if you want your beer to taste like armpits.

That is pretty much exactly what I mean. I have trouble describing it because the smell/taste really isnt like anything ive had before.

I do like Amarillo, but not on it's own, its all fruit to me and needs other hop flavours to balance it IMHO.

Simcoe, cascade & Amarillo are all good mates and work well together.

Cheers,
BB

if the best we can get from the OP, yeah it tastes like Rexona........ faaaark what a thread.. deleted post.

Like others in the thread I find it really needs another hop to complement and balance the flavour.
I think its a great APA hop in conjunction with Simcoe and Cascade for example.

On its own I've discovered over a couple of my own and others attempts that I just don't like all amarillo beers. At least where it is used in any real quantity at least...

Simcoe, cascade & Amarillo are all good mates and work well together.

I've got these three in an APA that I'm fermenting now...a sample this afternoon confirms why these three are among my favourite combos

In 20L I used:

10.00 gm Simcoe [12.20 %] (70 min) Hops 18.2 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] (5 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
10.00 gm Simcoe [12.20 %] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.5 IBU

So not OTT, they just balance each other nicely

Amarillo on it's own is a bit like nelson sauvin - over done and a bit too much, I think it needs an earthy/spicy hop to balance it a bit.

Interesting topic JB A lot of recipes have Amerillo right up there

After reading youre thread seams balance & mixture is the key for this hop which I have a bit of

I have also used it with chinook centennial cascade & I have gone all the way with it

I have been no chilling & I recon its been killing my ibu calcs so not seasoned enough to really qualify on this one to say but its a good hop I recon

Will be going for a chiller soon so will report back but when I sniff the hops they have to be winners they just smell so good

Hmm, it's not the fruitiness I have a problem with. It's just this one flavour, which I've never tasted in anything else before, therefore I have difficulty describing it. It's a small part of the flavour profile of the hop, I just have a problem with it. Maybe I'll take a beer that has it to an experienced homebrewer to try and pinpoint what it is. I am not certain that it's amarillo, but I've only found it in beers with amarillo.

I love Nelson Sauvin. Citra though... not so much. That one NEEDS balancing with another hop, imo.

Weird..

Whats the most popular recipe and cheery popping recipe on this forum?

It is legend, no?

Hmm...

IMO: Amarillo is almost a spicy addition over fruity but each to their own...

I've got these three in an APA that I'm fermenting now...a sample this afternoon confirms why these three are among my favourite combos

In 20L I used:

10.00 gm Simcoe [12.20 %] (70 min) Hops 18.2 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] (5 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
10.00 gm Simcoe [12.20 %] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.5 IBU

So not OTT, they just balance each other nicely

Amarillo on it's own is a bit like nelson sauvin - over done and a bit too much, I think it needs an earthy/spicy hop to balance it a bit.

Funny
I ordered my grain with this hop combo on Friday, gunna brew next week.

15.00 gm Simcoe [12.30%] (40 min) Hops 18.7 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.20%] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.20%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteHops -
10.00 gm Cascade [7.80%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops

Hoping it's :icon_drool2:

Because I'm always running out of it :D

I agree though its better with an early addition of Simcoe or paired with another US type hop.

if the best we can get from the OP, yeah it tastes like Rexona........ faaaark what a thread.. deleted post.

if the best can do what thread faaaark post beleted! ... huh?

I am getting over Amarillo and also Cascade due to over-use, and my tastes are leaning for a more complex medley of flavours when balancing hops with darker malts. Still think theres a place for Amarillo in my beers but am starting to use a lighter hand when throwing the hops in, in, and also later additions in combination with other hops. Strangely, apart from brown ales and porters I am also reverting back to simple POR driven styles for easy drinking session beers. There's some subtle magic to the old ringwood when used cautiously.

The US hops are very exciting for new brewers though, and I implore anyone who hasnt played with Amarillo to give it a go, you will be impressed. For a while at least.

If you are not happy with what amarillo does in a beer, please pm me and I will grab them off of you! I love the stuff and chuck BUCKET loads of it in my beers - especially the 10 min IPA, which I will be swapping this year.

I feel some of the people posting here may have had one too many DSGAs...as always, too much of a good thing.

Cheers
Phil

I've done four golden ales now 2 extract and 2 biab. 3 were bittered with Magnum to about 27 IBU's. The last one( biab )I did was all Amarillo. Haven't tried Cascade or Simcoe yet, but Magnum brewes were beter tasting than all Amarillo. although after about 4 mths in the keg the all Amarillo has aged into a very nice beer.

Latest posts

Back