Why Don't You Like Amarillo?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have DrS' JSGA into BeerSmith, and changed all the hops to Cascade. It's on my soon to brew list, as it should be a good summer quaffer.
I like Cascade, I don't like Amarillo. Each to their own.
Guess it should work OK.

I started brewing when Amarillo was the latest thing and at the peak of its popularity. I have brewed and tasted a few all-Amarillo ales and I have generally enjoyed them. There is, however, a tipping point with this hop. Too much Amarillo, particularly with a generous dose of crystal, and you end up brewing Fanta.

Mind you, since then I have also seen the rise of Galaxy (too much = passionfruit alcopop) and Nelson Sauvin (too much = tomcat). With a touch of restraint (yes, even in IPA) these are all good hops.

I think Amarillos a great hop, but it can get a bit flabby on its own. I think it needs something with a bit of 'zing' to cut through it. Cascade is the obvious candidate.

Im surprised to see negative comments regarding its use as a bittering hop. It typically has low levels of cohumulone and I have always found it to be very smooth.

Having defended Amarillo, I should point out that I havent used it since discovering Riwaka!

Back