Why do ALL of my can kits taste bad?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheWiggman said:
Regarding the 150 Lashes, I tried it for the first time last weekend and on the first sip said to my wife "all I can taste is Nelson Sauvin, I'll bet it's in it". After being called a weirdo I checked online and boom there it was. No thanks, I'm with Stu.
:icon_offtopic:

NS is definitely way out there, its not even a subtle sauvignon blanc smell and taste, its full on. But like anything, best used in moderation.

A hop with a similar flavour profile is the German Hallertau Blanc, more subtle, less dank than NS. Though I am guessing you are not a fan of white wine aromas or flavours in beer ;) though each to their own, I have tried it in light summer ales and most recently in a lager and find them very refreshing drops. :D

Has anyone brewed any kits using saison yeasts? Made a couple of BIAB saisons last summer and was amazed at what the yeast chewed down to. I wonder what they may bring to kit brewing?

Vini2ton said:
Has anyone brewed any kits using saison yeasts? Made a couple of BIAB saisons last summer and was amazed at what the yeast chewed down to. I wonder what they may bring to kit brewing?
Yes.
I've made 3 Saison's with kit cans, light dry malt and steeped grains. And all came out lovely.
One was entered into a comp and scored 85+ points in Vicbrew 2015, used the Coopers Aussie Pale ale can, some medium crystal, wheat crystal and light dry malt. No hops.
Belle Saison yeast at 18C. This one had too much crystal though apparently, otherwise it may have done better, also the Pilsner or Canadian blonde can would be good as a base. And only carapils?

Does the Saison yeast dominate any off kit twang flavours? I don't know...

Vini2ton said:
Very good question

Kolsch would work well

Shit long thread havent read it all but K&K no worries

Anyone who cant make a decent beer out of a K&K aint a brewer
you do need to give it love though :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Did a few Saisons with kit bases a few years ago. The pepper and slight tartness does seem to mask the kit twang. One standout brew was a tin Coopers Dark , some Special B, Carafa 3 and a fair bit of LDME, fermented with Belle saison . This one sat under a thick raft of mould for the whole Summer as I thought it was rooted and it simply sat in the corner forgotten .

The time came when I needed my 2nd fv back .I decided to have taste , just for laughs, and to my surprise there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

After it was carbed I had a few with a visitor . He was raving about it, best beer he'd ever tasted ect.....

I reckon It was a combo of dark malts, yeast, time and abv (7.6%). Zero twang.

There's a lot of talk about WilliamsWarn in the other threads lately which inspired me look into how they are making "award winning" beers with K&Ks. Looking at their American Pale Ale for example, they use Fermentis yeast and DME, with no mention of dextrose or malto. They also recommend making a hop tea and adding to the fermenter. They ferment at 23C which helps explain how they can ferment out within a week. The take away here for me is that BE2 is still probably the main cause of my twang and I need to brew again to test results with all DME.

Regarding the NS hops, I brewed Ross's Nelson Saivin Summer Ale a few years back and I quite liked it. That guy does work miracles with beer though. Maybe it's that teaspoon of table salt? I dunno. Somehow it just worked.
:chug:

rude said:
Shit long thread havent read it all but K&K no worries

Anyone who cant make a decent beer out of a K&K aint a brewer
you do need to give it love though :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
Quite agree. I think some blokes' palates are destroyed by the thin commercial crap they drink, like Corona and suchlike.

Michael Burton said:
There's a lot of talk about WilliamsWarn in the other threads lately which inspired me look into how they are making "award winning" beers with K&Ks.
You dont need a WW to make award winning beers

Of course not, I just wanted to know how they make a kit win awards.

I expect that if I poured my Coopers goop and BE2 into a WW it would taste just the same.

jackgym said:
Quite agree. I think some blokes' palates are destroyed by the thin commercial crap they drink, like Corona and suchlike.
I'm not anti - kit in the slightest but how on earth are ag brewers likely to be destroying their palates with corona in such a way their ag beers are good but their kits aren't?

One of the weirdest assertions I've seen for a bit.

manticle said:
I'm not anti - kit in the slightest but how on earth are ag brewers likely to be destroying their palates with corona in such a way their ag beers are good but their kits aren't?

One of the weirdest assertions I've seen for a bit.
I'm talking about the kit brewers.

You think the elusive kit twang detected by so many different brewers of different backgrounds is because they all drink corona?

I'm still lost mate. Can you elaborate?

Regards the NS, I liked tuatara's sauvinova. Great beer 100% NS

For shits n giggles, I bought a Coopers Real Ale kit today, ready to throw down tomorrow. First Knk beer in many years.
Just going to do something simple like:
Coopers Real Ale
1kg LDME
200g Crystal (steeped)
20g Goldings
WLP013 London Ale Yeast.
Fill to 23L
Ferment at 18c

Latest posts

Back