Why do ALL of my can kits taste bad?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Especially then, because your taste receptors are all turned on by the pure sex of pig fat and become indiscriminate receivers of decadent flavours.

Lecterfan said:
Especially then, because your taste receptors are all turned on by the pure sex of pig fat and become indiscriminate receivers of decadent flavours.
Mmm,.....Bacon

LAGERFRENZY said:
Plenty of people do decent kit brews -
I still have a few kits that were stockpiled before I started AG and I do still brew them with steeped crystal malt, a kilo of LDM and about 60 - 80 grams of my favourite hop additions -
I like the beer a lot over and above the shit that Dan's tries to sell for $4 a stubby...

Yes, and I'm one of them. I must try adding crystal malt to my kits, although it's hard to improve on perfection. :blink:

jackgym said:
Plenty of people do decent kit brews -
I still have a few kits that were stockpiled before I started AG and I do still brew them with steeped crystal malt, a kilo of LDM and about 60 - 80 grams of my favourite hop additions -

Yes, and I'm one of them.
I must try adding crystal malt to my kits, although it's hard to improve on perfection. :blink:

Lecterfan said:
My uncle in WA makes great kit beer, best kit beer I've tasted, in fact (some of Yob's came close). I drink it happily and in great amounts when I visit him. It still tastes like kit beer, though, lets not kid ourselves on that front. There is no value judgement here, however: for some, the slightest residue of the kit taste is annoying because they want total (or as much) control over their product (as they can get)... the sort of control that only AG gives. Either go AG or enjoy the excellent results that you can have within the parameters of kit beers. Four pages and no war has started. Not fussed if this post starts one. Triangle test me and most decent give-a-shit-about-process brewers who have been at it for 5 years or more and the difference will be detected. Don't kid yourself that it is just water or the stage of the moon or what you had for brekkie.
My kit beer tastes like the real beer you could buy before they started selling the watered down commercial piss of today. If people have the inability to follow simple instructions with kits and can't brew anything drinkable, then they need to turn to all grain and kid themselves that 6 hours of brewing will turn out perfection. :beerbang:

Quick update on my can brew after bottling t'other day. I added a kilo of half n half (dme/dex) and .7kg of dry wheat extract which I brought to boil in 10l water.
flame out added 25g nelson sauvin
80c another 25g the same
Result.. higher gravity and some hop flavour/aroma and more bitterness to the black rock can (didn't boil can contents)
Taste at bottling reveal a better result than feared but undeniably still identifiable can twang..
Oh and nelson sauvin is as white winey as everyone says, especially used like this (late)

edit; og 1.054. vol. 20l

Yes ... Nelson Sav is rather strong and can easily dominate everything

Regarding the 150 Lashes, I tried it for the first time last weekend and on the first sip said to my wife "all I can taste is Nelson Sauvin, I'll bet it's in it". After being called a weirdo I checked online and boom there it was. No thanks, I'm with Stu.

Michael

Would love to hear your results...

Can't say I am any kind of brewing expert and yet to try AG.

What I will say is this:
1. I have done several types of Coopers can recipes, even the Coopers "Craft Brew".
2. I have only ever used DME (dark and light) as the "kilo" part, never tried BE2 or any other.
3. With these I have tried different "bits" e.g. crystal steeping, partial mash etc
4. I have changed several process along the way, but never tried boiling the water.
5. I have tried different yeasts other than the one supplied, I've tried re-hydrating, haven't tried liquid, re-cultured, or a starter.

I always end up with some level of the extract twang!

I have done several fresh work kits and no detectable bad taste.

I noticed that hops and/or a bit of grain steeping etc does change the level of badness. I think a good dose of hop flavouring and/or dry hop goes a long way towards masking the problem.

Also I notice that ageing makes a difference too, at least 3 months.

So I would really like to hear the outcome from those here who have noticed the badness and have re-visited can kit brewing with different processes.

Cheers

In general I have only tasted the "twang" when drinking weak bodied brews like Canadian Blonde where dextrose has been used as the dominant fermentable.( As previously stated I only use malt.)
​Not every everybody likes heavy hopped beers and therefore if you have to change the taste of the particular style your trying to brew to remove "bad taste" then why would you.

I'm beginning to think some people are sensitive to the twang and others not but it's always there. Just like some people are more sensitive to dms than others. Unfortunately I seem to be pretty sensitive, as I'd love to be able to get away with kit brews rather than use up brownie points on a whole brew day my wife has the kids for. Just can't enjoy the stuff though.

grott said:
In general I have only tasted the "twang" when drinking weak bodied brews like Canadian Blonde where dextrose has been used as the dominant fermentable.( As previously stated I only use malt.)
​Not every everybody likes heavy hopped beers and therefore if you have to change the taste of the particular style your trying to brew to remove "bad taste" then why would you.
Have you brewed any of the newer Cooper's kits, Family Secret or Inkeepers Daughter? Using LDM and US-05 yeast produce a great beer without the need to re-hop.

I have a Family Secret Amber Ale in the fermenter now using liquid light malt extract and the Thomas Cooper kit yeast.
Out of stock now but the Thomas Cooper Wheat beer, Australian Bitter and IPA Brewer this year were great with same additives. Except for stouts I keg now and I find carbonation with co2 rather than sugar/ drops in bottles gives a real "crispness" to the brew.
Cheers

Back